#1 lumpy

lumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTrail, B.C. Canadia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

So what do youguys use?? Me n the Mrs. want something easy to use(no patience lol), but still something I can upload some extra map packs to, use it for wheeling no so marked roads, or to make it out of the maze of forestry roads. Biking,hiking,back country snowboard touring will also be in its job-profile.

I am leaning towards a garmin etrex 20. anyone have experience with this unit? etrex 30 is pricy....would like to keep under $200.

thanks guys
Lumpy

#2 dirtster

dirtster

Dirtster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationBuhl, ID

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

I have a DeLorme PN40 I really like. DeLorme has lots of good mapping options. It is easy to use. The PN-60 is even better and they can be purchased through eBay quite reasonable if one is patient (oh, I forgot, you are not patient). I have used mine extensively for geocaching and off roading, hiking, etc.

#3 ChevyJoe

ChevyJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

http://www.off-cambe.../topic/921-gps/

#4 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

I used the Garmin etrex Venture this last elk season and it worked really well. It took a few minutes to figure it out but was relatively easy. I also liked the compact size, I was able to leave it in my pocket and not feel like it was ever in the way. I've got a III+ and a V but they are both having some issues so I've been thinking of a replacement myself.

The Nuvi is surprisingly awesome offroad as well. They show most of the roads out there in the bush and area really easy to use.

#5 lumpy

lumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTrail, B.C. Canadia

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Thanks fellers, asked some locals up here, lots go with a garmin of sorts. Can upload old govt. mining claim maps to find trails and what not.

#6 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

View Postscoot_mcgrute, on 18 February 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

The Nuvi is surprisingly awesome offroad as well. They show most of the roads out there in the bush and area really easy to use.

Roller and I used a Nuvi to find and navigate an old jeep trail that led from Joshua Tree to Palm Springs once. It did surprisingly well.

#7 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

View PostPhantom 309, on 18 February 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

Roller and I used a Nuvi to find and navigate an old jeep trail that led from Joshua Tree to Palm Springs once. It did surprisingly well.

The first time I experienced one offroad was my last trip to Naches for the Rover club event. One guy in our group of 3 had it and it was working way better than my III+ as it already had the main gravel roads on it. This last fall, I was the navigator in the same event but near Bend and the driver had a Nuvi. Super simple to input waypoints quickly and I was impressed with the road detail it had.

#8 Bryan

Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAuburn, WA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Just a hypothetical question:
If there was a smart phone app for this, would you use it? One that would allow you to find maps of roads that are not shown on Google Maps or any other mapping app. An app that would work with or without cell service.

#9 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

A few guys in the Rover club run something off of their tablets, also seems to work very well from what I have seen. Not exactly sure what it is though.

#10 JewGoat

JewGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationWa

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostBryan, on 24 February 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

Just a hypothetical question:
If there was a smart phone app for this, would you use it? One that would allow you to find maps of roads that are not shown on Google Maps or any other mapping app. An app that would work with or without cell service.
Floorit uses his IPad, I am not aware of the app he uses though.  Its on the forum somewhere i believe.

#11 Floorit

Floorit

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,562 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostJewGoat, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Floorit uses his IPad, I am not aware of the app he uses though.  Its on the forum somewhere i believe.

I use MotionX HD on my ipad.  It works pretty well, you can cache maps off-line of whatever area you want so you don't need cell service.  One of the mapping services it uses is openstreetmap.org which means you can map trails and roads that don't show on the existing basemap and get them added to the basemap.