homeboy

Daddy D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostSHREK, on 16 March 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

Do not have any plans to race. Just want a safe cell that I wont have to worry about.

heavy foot users have wheeled 3 days up here on 12 gal cells on ls1/LQ4 motors and carry a 5 gal jug at camp and you are good, crawling around and trail riding doesn't eat the fuel. racing between or to trails on dirt roads is what eats the fuel. However if the snow challenge is what fuels you having a large cell may also be for you. so maybe I should shut up :laughing:

I dont have baffles or foam so I always keep 1/4-1/2 a tank of fuel before I got back out from camp in order to keep fuel in it and not allow air into the fuel pump. I dont know the amount of driving it is between trails to camp for you so maybe it is justified.

you mentioned weight is a concern to you? the extra weight in the fuel may be a factor plus the tube work and skid plate you make to protect it by slinging it low like a ultra4 buggy.

next is backing into things, you wanna be able to back into a rock and have your tires hit it before your chassis as a trail rig. so the smallest amount of rear over hang as possible is desired. having the extra storage works great at the hammers where they have no trees and need to carry everything out on the trail plus they need that rear bumper for a nerfing protection bar as a racer.

Edited by homeboy, 16 March 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#27 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

View Posthomeboy, on 16 March 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

heavy foot users have wheeled 3 days up here on 12 gal cells on ls1/LQ4 motors and carry a 5 gal jug at camp and you are good, crawling around and trail riding doesn't eat the fuel. racing between or to trails on dirt roads is what eats the fuel.

I dont have baffles or foam so I always keep 1/4-1/2 a tank of fuel before I got back out from camp in order to keep fuel in it and not allow air into the fuel pump. I dont know the amount of driving it is between trails to camp for you so maybe it is justified.

you mentioned weight is a concern to you? the extra weight in the fuel may be a factor plus the tube work and skid plate you make to protect it by slinging it low like a ultra4 buggy.

next is backing into things, you wanna be able to back into a rock and have your tires hit it before your chassis as a trail rig. so the smallest amount of rear over hang as possible is desired. works great at the hammers where they have no trees and need to carry everything out on the trail.
I have used 20 plus gallons of fuel many times in my last Jeep in a day snow wheelin. And that was with stock 5.7vortec.

#28 dirtster

dirtster

Dirtster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationBuhl, ID

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

What I see is excellent craftsmanship, well thought out planning, great fab photos. This is going to be one hellava buggy, buddy. (Hey, I thought your old CJ wasn't too bad.) :clap:

#29 homeboy

homeboy

Daddy D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostSHREK, on 16 March 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

I have used 20 plus gallons of fuel many times in my last Jeep in a day snow wheelin. And that was with stock 5.7vortec.

yup snow wheeling can do that

chassis looks good and really like your brackets you have on everythijng from shock mounts to your rear link mounts. dimple dies are sure nice ain't they :thumbsup:

Edited by homeboy, 16 March 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#30 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

View Postdirtster, on 16 March 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

What I see is excellent craftsmanship, well thought out planning, great fab photos. This is going to be one hellava buggy, buddy. (Hey, I thought your old CJ wasn't too bad.) :clap:
Thanks for the complements. I loved that Jeep but it was just to beat and bent to rebuild. I thought it would be easier to start from scratch but I am starting to question my decision its proving to be harder than I thought but should be worth it in the end.

#31 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Posthomeboy, on 16 March 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

yup snow wheeling can do that

chassis looks good and really like your brackets you have on everythijng from shock mounts to your rear link mounts. dimple dies are sure nice ain't they :thumbsup:
Yes they are and a Torchmate helps a little also. :thumbsup:

#32 dirtster

dirtster

Dirtster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationBuhl, ID

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

The new buggy-build reminds me of ordering a burger at Five Guys Burgers n Fries: "the works" (which ends up being a 5 napkin lunch)

#33 nickb

nickb

Web Wheeler Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationFlexed out on a curb in Yakima.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Awesome build! Very nice work!

#34 NateW

NateW

Subawooo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

This is a really really nice build Shrek. Loving it so far. I would consider some pretty beefy protection of that cell in the back though, just to be safe.. do you have any plans for bumpers or you just gonna run the tube?

#35 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostNateW, on 17 March 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

This is a really really nice build Shrek. Loving it so far. I would consider some pretty beefy protection of that cell in the back though, just to be safe.. do you have any plans for bumpers or you just gonna run the tube?
I think the pic's are a little miss leading. I am building at full bump and the gas tank is 32" to 33" to the bottom at ride height. Also planing on some sort of skid plate to keep it safe. My plan is a simple tube bumper in the rear but things change. Thanks for the compliments.

#36 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

This thing is freeekin awesome. You undersold it when you said that you were just building a Jeep. Keep the info coming!

#37 dirtster

dirtster

Dirtster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationBuhl, ID

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

Inspiring to say the least. :clap:

#38 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Getting ready to order some more plate steel and I am wondering what everybody is running for skid plates? My plan was 3/16" AR plate like they use for hard facing. Also thought about 1/8" but not sure how well that would hold up but it would save me about 15lb's. UHMW is not a option because I don't think I have room.

#39 b-dazzle

b-dazzle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationEllensburg

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

i hope when u r finished u drive it  like u built it and love it and not like u drove jeepinjunks when he wasn't lookin or i'll never stand a chance.

#40 JeepinJunk

JeepinJunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationAhtanum Valley

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

View Postb-dazzle, on 18 March 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

i hope when u r finished u drive it  like u built it and love it and not like u drove jeepinjunks when he wasn't lookin or i'll never stand a chance.
:w00t: :shock: :rant:

#41 homey

homey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Locationwoodinville Wa

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

looks like it'll be a stout rig! looks great.

#42 homeboy

homeboy

Daddy D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostSHREK, on 18 March 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

Getting ready to order some more plate steel and I am wondering what everybody is running for skid plates? My plan was 3/16" AR plate like they use for hard facing. Also thought about 1/8" but not sure how well that would hold up but it would save me about 15lb's. UHMW is not a option because I don't think I have room.

a lot of guys are running the AR plate in 3/16 and 1/4 for belly plates with good results, I run 1/4" steel and it already has some small dents. When I replace it I may go 1/4" AR depending on the amount, just know AR plate is a bitch to drill through.

#43 twitch

twitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Locationportland

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

He'll love it all right.  He will love beating the ever living piss out of it.  From what i've seen,  I don't think Shrek remembers there is more than one pedal in a rig.

#44 Drunk Prom Date

Drunk Prom Date

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationYakima, wa

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

This is turning out awesome! Can't wait to see the progress as time goes!

#45 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostPhantom 309, on 17 March 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

This thing is freeekin awesome. You undersold it when you said that you were just building a Jeep. Keep the info coming!
Thanks a lot but it is going to be a FJ Cruiser. Not a very productive weekend too many Long Islands Friday night :sick:  felt like shit until Sunday afternoon.

I did manage to get some tierods built for the steering.
Attached File  Build pic's 005.JPG   123.81K   26 downloads
Chad V I have a 8 1/2" piece and a 24" piece if ya still need steering arms let me know your length's. Thanks again for the belts :thumbsup:

#46 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Ha ha I treated Bill's better than I would have my own :scooter:

#47 b-dazzle

b-dazzle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationEllensburg

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

in that case i can't wait to play

#48 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostSHREK, on 18 March 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

Ha ha I treated Bill's better than I would have my own :scooter:

You just drove it off and left him.....lol

#49 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENTS :thumbup:

#50 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

View Posthomeboy, on 18 March 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

a lot of guys are running the AR plate in 3/16 and 1/4 for belly plates with good results, I run 1/4" steel and it already has some small dents. When I replace it I may go 1/4" AR depending on the amount, just know AR plate is a bitch to drill through.
Good to know. I am hoping it will fit on the burn table.