#1 snyder

snyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Locationgleed

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

Today I joined pnw4wda and sent in my $ via paypal. I am confused on how to log into the website for members  and create my account. Has anyone done this recently? I'm slightly challenged when it comes to modern technology.

#2 OZ-Guard

OZ-Guard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale Trailer park

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:22 PM

What was your deciding factor to join? Been thinking its a good idea.

#3 snyder

snyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Locationgleed

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

Well I haven't gone wheeling in years , I've contributed zero to trail maintenance and clean ups. I am not part of any local club/organization. I am extremely appreciative for the ones who continue to support the cause to keep our outdoors open. So I figure if my small yearly fee may help to contribute to that, then I am happy. I have plans to try to be more involved over the next few years so hopefully I will make good on them.

#4 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

Ohhhh boy. You picked a strange time to bring this up! Shrek will know what I mean.

#5 Murkman

Murkman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNaches

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

View PostPhantom 309, on 28 May 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

Ohhhh boy. You picked a strange time to bring this up! Shrek will know what I mean.

I know what you're saying!

#6 snyder

snyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Locationgleed

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

View PostPhantom 309, on 28 May 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

I'm  confused Shane?

#7 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

View PostMurkman, on 28 May 2015 - 08:04 PM, said:

I know what you're saying!

I was surprised by your posts. I don't know why really but I thought you were very pro PNW.

#8 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

View Postsnyder, on 28 May 2015 - 08:17 PM, said:

I'm  confused Shane?

Long story that I won't bother dragging over here, at least for now.

You should come up to Naches Pass with is this weekend.

#9 snyder

snyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Locationgleed

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:39 PM

We will be gone this weekend  but I want to make good on being involved more.

#10 Murkman

Murkman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNaches

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:14 PM

View PostPhantom 309, on 28 May 2015 - 08:18 PM, said:

I was surprised by your posts. I don't know why really but I thought you were very pro PNW.

The org has potential. In the past it had influence. Now it's old and tired and refuses to do what it takes to be revived. WHOVA has the potential to take the place as the leader. It takes a collabrative effort of the Motorized Community to accomplish what needs to be done.

#11 dirk

dirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Locationwashington

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

Ya...crazy timing on the post.  Maybe Snyder gets the WOHVA email newsletter and was inspired by Byron's article?

#12 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:57 AM

Basically Snyder, we were having a conversation on another site about the PNW. Good job on joining up with something!

#13 snyder

snyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Locationgleed

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:53 AM

View Postdirk, on 28 May 2015 - 09:21 PM, said:

Ya...crazy timing on the post.  Maybe Snyder gets the WOHVA email newsletter and was inspired by Byron's article?
No sir no emails here. Just thought I was doing some good trying to support the off road community.

#14 snyder

snyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Locationgleed

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:58 AM

Maybe I'll join WOHVA also and see how things work on both ends.

#15 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:03 AM

View Postsnyder, on 29 May 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

No sir no emails here. Just thought I was doing some good trying to support the off road community.

I just sent you a link to what we were talking about. I don't want you to think it has anything to do with your post here. I'm for people supporting whatever association they want. The fact that they are supporting is key!

#16 snyder

snyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Locationgleed

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

Wow that was a fun read. Thanks for the link Shane

#17 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

View Postsnyder, on 29 May 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

Wow that was a fun read. Thanks for the link Shane

I honestly don't want to sway your views one way or the other. Those are just my opinions and they don't change the fact that we all need to be involved. I personally hope that I have to eat my words and the PNW strives in the future.

#18 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

View Postdirk, on 28 May 2015 - 09:21 PM, said:

I am a member and don't get the news letter? Probably didn't fill something out correctly.

#19 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

I joined WOHVA this weekend.

#20 POR

POR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • LocationYour moms

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:57 AM

I'm so on the fence about this crap. I've all but given up on Washingtons recreation ohv. Our dnr/wildlife pass is a joke! They want us to pay top dollar to access our areas that they close, limit our time too. In all honesty the the new reiter is a joke they have paid millions for a gravel road trails with a few rocks to play on. Really if I wanted to wheel gravel I'd just wheel in my driveway, at least I wouldn't get a mudflap/fender flair ticket! I'd really be ok with all orv areas closed and be an outlaw wheeler. can you imagine the trails you could make/find. So we should all go join associations so they can fight for our declining gravel road trails, Sucks to have my mentality on this but that's the way I'm leaning

#21 dirk

dirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Locationwashington

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

View PostPOR, on 01 June 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

I'm so on the fence about this crap. I've all but given up on Washingtons recreation ohv. Our dnr/wildlife pass is a joke! They want us to pay top dollar to access our areas that they close, limit our time too. In all honesty the the new reiter is a joke they have paid millions for a gravel road trails with a few rocks to play on. Really if I wanted to wheel gravel I'd just wheel in my driveway, at least I wouldn't get a mudflap/fender flair ticket! I'd really be ok with all orv areas closed and be an outlaw wheeler. can you imagine the trails you could make/find. So we should all go join associations so they can fight for our declining gravel road trails, Sucks to have my mentality on this but that's the way I'm leaning

So what would it take to channel that energy/passion into support for an OHV org?  WOHVA, the PNW4WDA & many other OHV orgs are begging for folks to get involved with their money, their letters and/or their volunteer time. As Pokey pointed or in the other thread, no one wants to step up and lead the PNW4WDA in a new direction.

It's pretty frustrating.  The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and The Washington Trails Association (WTA) have tons of cash and support from their membership.  They are able to pay people to lobby for new trails & better experiences.  The OHV community only has volunteers...many are tired & would welcome some support.

#22 dirk

dirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Locationwashington

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:03 AM

Not picking on you specifically...losing trail mileage & seeing the trails we have get neutered is really frustrating to see.

It's even more frustrating when the common reaction from OHV users is "F this, I'm going wheeling."  Our opposition says "F this, I'm getting involved and we are going to lobby/sue!"  

As a BOD member of WOHVA, I've been to the offices of The Nature Conservancy to hear their plans for the 48,000 acres they just bought. The offices are overlooking Pike Place Market in Seattle.  They have an army of paid staff working to save the environment.  You should have seen the look on James Schroeder's face when I asked him when we can start building new trails :)

#23 dirk

dirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Locationwashington

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:05 AM

Imagine what could be accomplished with a full time employee at WOHVA...we could stay involved, lobby in Olympia & represent at all those meetings scheduled during work hours.

#24 POR

POR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • LocationYour moms

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:38 AM

With our sport it's hard to get that kind of financial following.  We have such a high turnover rate of enthusiasts. It seems we are always in "the learning curve" because 90% of our sport are newbies.whats frustrating is they can't fund hardly anything but if they were to shut the trails down. They sure could come up with the money to enforce area's. It's expensive to wheel here buying different passes, look what it cost per year just to go to Elbe and evens, but for $10 I can go wheel every ohv park in Oregon for 2 yrs, wtf! It's also cheaper to wheel in cali for a year?? Maybe I'm getting stubborn in my old age but I'm sorry I don't agree with the millions spent on reiter. What we voiced and the gravel trails we got has been the biggest waste of funding I have ever seen. Getting involved and trying to be positive for new gravel road trails is not something I'm interested in being excited about. Sorry I'm not trying to persuade anyone not to get involved, but after 20yrs of wheeling I'm over it!

#25 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:56 AM

I understand the frustration that POR has. To an extent I felt/feel the same. For a few years I have been trying to get more involved but the more I tried, the more irritated that I became with the group that represented us. There are some really cool people in it that I love and respect but overall  I found the group to be a bunch of arrogant, old school, apologists that care more about their precious group than our future. Any future that they were working toward is a future that benefits them, not the new generation of wheelers that don't conform to their mold.

While I still feel the same about them (screw it.....the PNW4WDA) I feel much more confident in what's getting done in the last couple of years. There's been a movement of independents that have started forming and are getting things done that the PNW never could (or would.)  We still need a governing body to fight the legal battles, but while the PNW might be doing that, they spend to much time leaning on that crutch, compromising,  and patting themselves on the back. Meanwhile at the grassroots (local) level groups are getting it done, and the results are showing. In my opinion the PNW no longer represents the needs of today's OHV enthusiasts. If they don't change their attitude and find a way to bring in new blood, the organization will die.  

Not to put you in a situation to bad mouth the PNW, Dirk, but how does WOHVA's thinking differ from the back dated ways of the PNW? I honestly have not researched it that much and have been wanting to ask you that for a while now.