#1 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:00 AM

So, this happened last night. My girlfriend and I picked it up as a way to teach her about cars and trucks while we tinker on it.

It's a 1966 C10 all original minus the fenders and the tailgate. 250 I6, 3 on the tree, drum brakes, manual steering and cool as hell!

First order of business is to get it road ready and then we will tackle the rust in the floors and fixing all of the patches that were done already.

Attached File  66 Chevy.jpg   81.21K   35 downloads

#2 Tryan100

Tryan100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:17 AM

Cool

#3 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

Got a few daylight pictures, we have some work ahead of us but I can't wait to start!

Attached Files

#4 4x4KindaGuy

4x4KindaGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

This will be a nice project.

#5 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:22 PM

I've slowly been collecting parts for this. I have just about all of my patch panels I will need, just waiting on the final piece to ship from AMD.  I have a new carburetor to slap on it as the one on there now isn't correct so I don't have all the things I need for the manual choke and such. I've also been scouring craigslist for some 6 lug rally wheels and some tires to put on them. I ended up finding the wheels in really good shape for $100 and then a like new set of 4 year old tires for $150. I'm going to clean the wheels up this week and hopefully have them on the truck by next week. My goal is to hit the local Cars and Coffee before the end of next month, we will see what happens.

Attached File  WHEELS.jpg   130.17K   17 downloads

Attached File  TIRES.jpg   106.5K   15 downloads

Attached File  TIRES2.jpg   116.48K   17 downloads

Edited by scoot_mcgrute, 09 February 2016 - 12:24 PM.

#6 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:53 AM

Just tinkering for a sec before heading to tinker on my buddy's 68 F100 Coyote swap last night. I didn't think the park lights worked even though the bulbs looked brand new. Turns out that they go off when the headlights are on so I pulled the switch to the park position and bam! park lights :). It's neat having something new to learn and tinker with, I should have some good garage time with it on Sunday :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#7 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

=)

https://youtu.be/MJQGWUA8kJA

#8 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

A little shaky? lol

#9 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

View Posttom58c, on 15 February 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

A little shaky? lol

Its definitely interesting shifting a 3 on the tree and taking video at the same time :thumbsup:

#10 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:56 AM

Some pictures from the weekend

Painting up the rally wheels
Posted Image

This showed up while painting so I slapped it in, super easy!
Posted Image

She runs!
Posted Image

New glovebox emblem too
Posted Image

I also ordered these up for the new wheels, should be here in a week and look killer!
Posted Image

#11 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:50 PM

New tires are mounted up, I think I have to put them on tonight :smoke:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm stoked to get the crummy Nissan wheels off this thing and get some proper wheels on it. Center caps come on Thursday!

#12 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:57 AM

Tires and wheels are on! I found a bad lower ball joint on the driver's side so I'll be doing those, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake hoses and packing the bearings next. It looks so much better with a proper wheel on it :metal:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also noticed this little guy on the driver's side. Didn't see it until last night, I think it's pretty cool!
Posted Image

More to come in the coming weeks :thumbsup:

#13 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:48 AM

Got my center caps yesterday and had to throw one on. Looks awesome! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#14 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:34 PM

So, going to look at a new motor tomorrow. Mine has been a crap shoot since I bought it, it had no oil in it, and the amount it smokes has me thinking it needs rings. Found a low mile Targetmaster 292 I6 mated to what looks like a T5 transmission (ad just says 5 speed) so more than likely going to be bringing it home! It's going to be awesome!

#15 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

Got the motor and tranny home. It's in pretty good shape, I need to do a little work to finish bolting the tranny up but the 5 speed is going to be great!

Attached File  993546_584723892586_1108252957781630801_n.jpg   155.3K   13 downloads

Attached File  12743655_584723912546_3818576246149040041_n.jpg   79.01K   13 downloads

#16 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:50 AM

I couldn't help myself, I had to get some shots of it outside on the new wheels the other day. It's so much better than before! The center caps will look awesome on it too!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:23 AM

Disc brakes coming soon! I wanted to do a donor truck but looking at what was out there and the capital that would be invested, I decided to order a conversion kit instead.

Front clip should be off this weekend!

#18 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:48 AM

I've been sick as a dog the last couple weeks but I was feeling good enough over the weekend to get some progress made on the Chevy :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I should have the motor and tranny out on Sunday and then I can pressure wash the heck out of the whole thing, paint the frame and start installing all my parts! I have a CPP disc brake kit on order and hopefully I will be ordering a Wilwood brake and clutch master cylinder this week. Way too nice of parts for way too junkie of a truck but it's going to be so sweet!

Edited by scoot_mcgrute, 14 March 2016 - 05:49 AM.

#19 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:18 AM

Came home to parts yesterday! It'll be great having good brakes on the front of it. Now to figure out the master cylinder...

Attached File  IMG_20160317_165901.jpg   124.05K   13 downloads

#20 Tryan100

Tryan100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

Cool stuff

#21 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:11 AM

Dad and I were busy over the weekend! We pulled the motor and tranny out on Friday and started cleaning the frame up. Yesterday after the Easter festivities, we got the bed off the truck. I gotta say that it was way easier knowing that I had all new hardware coming so we didn't have to save any of the original stuff. The whole back half of the frame definitely has more rust than the front! I've gone through probably half a can of Kroil just on the back half of the frame :help:

Pulling the engine
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Starting the bed tear down. I worked on as many of the underside bolts as I could while dad was cutting the heads of the fender mounting screws. He did an X in each head and used a chisel to break the heads off. Worked great!
Posted Image

We also broke the boards loose of the mounting bolts and just cut the heads off with the cutoff wheels.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Dad swinging the hammer
Posted Image

Blurry shot of my shop pup and shotgun rider, Rockwell. He's an awesome dog!
Posted Image

Bed wood out and bed off. We ended up cutting all the bolts that hold the bed strips in too. I'm going to redo the floor with some nice plywood when I'm at that stage.
Posted Image

All cleaned up with a Rockwell photobomb
Posted Image

Plans this week are to pressure wash the frame really well and wire wheel what's left behind. I'll be getting some POR-15 and coating the whole frame with that. Pretty soon it will be time to start working on fun things like brakes and suspension :thumbsup:

#22 Tryan100

Tryan100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:41 AM

I don't know much about old stuff like that.  Is that factory coil sprung rear suspension?

#23 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:40 AM

View PostTryan100, on 28 March 2016 - 06:41 AM, said:

I don't know much about old stuff like that.  Is that factory coil sprung rear suspension?

Yep! Back in the day, the GMCs were leaf sprung in the rear and the half ton Chevys were coil sprung. It's a very simple setup with 2 control arms and a panhard bar. The control arms attach to essentially a leaf spring perch at the axle with a u-bolt and then a bushing at the frame.

#24 Tryan100

Tryan100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:38 AM

Weird never knew that.

#25 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:38 AM

I didn't get a whole lot done on the pickup over the weekend. I did go to the swap meet on Friday and ended up with a pretty nice bounty though. I picked up a front sway bar, new bellhousing for the T5, all the mounting brackets for the 292 and an instrument cluster that has gauges instead of the lights. I'll be tinkering with the cluster and cleaning it up before I put it in the truck.
Posted Image

Saturday, I took the Jeep out to Cars and Coffee on my way to my buddy's house to work on his FJ40. I was able to park the Jeep next to another buddy's Coyote powered F100 :thumbsup:
Posted Image

The task for the FJ40 was to get the 350 in it before the end of the day. That was my goal anyway, my buddy was more concerned with drinking and smoking with the neighbors. Oh well, I cut all the brackets, drilled all the holes and got most of the welding done so it was successful!
Posted Image

No cherry picker!
Posted Image

Yesterday, I started getting the 292 sealed up and put back together and drilled some holes in my firewall. I'm hoping this week to have the motor all sealed and painted :thumbup:
Posted Image