#26 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:41 AM

I think I've hit the fun part where I get to install all the parts I've had sitting in my living room for a couple months. Last night I focused on getting the last couple things done to the motor before I could start painting it while dad came over and pulled the rear bumper off. It's got a hitch that was welded on to the rear crossmember that fought us a bit but we prevailed.
Posted Image

And my favorite part so far was getting that first coat of paint on the engine. I love it!
Posted Image

Tonight is looking like the night I will pressure wash the frame and clean a couple things up on the motor and give it another coat :metal:

#27 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:09 AM

Lots done yesterday! I clear coated the engine, pressure washed the frame, front clip and rear fenders, dad wire wheeled the frame and while he was doing that, I yarded the old steering and suspension off. We wanted to start getting some paint on the frame but I wanted to go to a Jeep cruise in for dinner so we called it quits around 4:30. I'm getting ready to order the Unisteer power rack and pinion steering kit today, I'm stoked for that!
Satin clear (engine paint) on the motor really made it look good
Posted Image

Front frame wire wheeled
Posted Image

Rear frame almost done. Just need from the axle back and then the inside as best I can
Posted Image

My supervisor was napping on the job most of the time. It's hard to find good help these days!
Posted Image

Pile of parts :metal:
Posted Image

Dad smoked my Harbor Freight grinder :lol:
Posted Image

I also broke the Jeep coming home from the cruise in, I think it's just jealous that the Chevy is getting all the attention and money right now!
Posted Image

#28 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

This showed up yesterday, I love the way it looks on the firewall!

Attached File  brake master.jpg   37.52K   13 downloads

#29 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:54 AM

Last night I did something that I wasn't planning on doing at all. My buddy convinced me to pull the cab. It'll make cleaning the last bit of frame super easy as well as slapping some paint on it. I guess I can call it a frame off restoration now :ninja:

Attached File  frameoff.jpg   67.54K   13 downloads

#30 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:48 AM

Haven't had much for visual progress the last couple weeks as I was waiting on the frame paint but I got that the other day and squirted the frame before the rain hit :thumbsup: . I used a chassis black mix from Industrial Finishes; it's a urethane base and covered the POR15 super easy. I love it!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a shot of one of the motor mount towers, it'll look awesome on the Chevy Orange engine!
Posted Image

I also got a wild hare last night and wanted to show my firewall clean up off with a little wax. Looks great!
Posted Image

I also discovered this number etched into the paint above where the master cylinder mounts. Anyone know the significance by chance?
Posted Image

Dad and I will be hitting it hard on Sunday and get the frame back mounted to the cab so I can start on the reassembly part. I'm excited for that step!

#31 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:49 AM

Saturday was an off-road day again but Sunday was all about the 66, and a little bit of dad's new toy, a 69 K20 ex Fire Truck. It's rad!
My cab and dad's truck
Posted Image

We tinkered with his truck for a bit and then got busy on mine. First order of business was to put the frame back under the cab. It went super smooth, just like it had come out.
Posted Image

I painted the underside of the frame and the new disc brake parts while dad cleaned and painted the rear axle.
Posted Image

Mom even stopped by to see what we were up to, she can't wait to see my truck finished!
Posted Image

Dad got the trailing arms put back in while I got the spindles on and passenger side rotor installed
Posted Image

Posted Image

Dad went to install the other rotor and caliper and just for fun, I had him verify that the other rotor was 6 lug. Turns out, they had sent me 1 6 lug rotor and 1 5 lug rotor. No big deal, I'll get it sorted out this morning.
Posted Image

Passenger side all buttoned up. I love it!
Posted Image

How the driver's side will look for a bit
Posted Image

After we figured out we couldn't do anymore on the front, we moved to the rear and got the axle all bolted in. I'm still waiting on new coil keepers but everything else is on and looks awesome!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gu47kc]Posted Image

We knocked a whole bunch of big items out yesterday and I can't be any happier of the progress we are making! I'm going to get the motor and tranny mated up this week and maybe even drop em in this weekend :thumbsup:

#32 Jay W

Jay W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:37 AM

Pics of the fire truck!!

#33 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:36 PM

This is all I have for now. It's a 69 K20, 350, 4 speed, Eaton rear with Detroit, closed knuckle 44, 4.56 gears (he thinks) and 34,000 original miles. It's cherry and dad loves it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

He took us for a ride in it on Saturday, mom loves it too!
Posted Image

#34 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:56 AM

Got the flywheel, clutch and bellhousing on last night and measured to see if I needed to cut the bearing retainer down and it looks like I do. I'll get it done at work today or tomorrow :metal:
A little accessory bolt on action, the black looks awesome on the orange :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

A little progress each night :thumbsup:

#35 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:59 AM

Shortened the bearing retainer on lunch today. I ended up shortening it 7/16", I'm still outside of the travel distance of the throwout bearing and should be far enough away from the clutch disc too.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice and short now
Posted Image

Even chamfered the edges for that factory look :laughing:
Posted Image

#36 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:15 AM

Progress over the weekend and last night. She's coming together nicely!

Here are a couple pictures from the weekend that I wasn't able to post before.

I was excited to see the FedEx truck pull in, I knew it had my replacement rotor on it and I was right!
Posted Image

Promptly made it a roller
Posted Image

Motor going in!
Posted Image

Modifying the S10 shifter for a bolt on lever
Posted Image

The stick is in 2nd gear right now so I'll be mounting the stick to the more upright position on the shifter itself. That should put it right where I want it.
Posted Image

Last night, I busted the cross member out for the T5. I'm super happy with how it turned out and how it works. One more step to driving it again :metal:
Posted Image

Check out my sweet welding table :lol:
Posted Image

And installed. Love it!
Posted Image

#37 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:44 AM

Got the shifter fixed and the distributor stabbed in last night. The shifter is in a way better spot now, it was under the dash before.

I basically turned it into a Camaro shifter but the price was way better B)
Posted Image

I had to take it all apart to be able to cut it low enough. I sanded the front tab off and tacked the plates when I reassembled it. Picture is pretty bad, sorry bout that
Posted Image

Neutral
Posted Image

1st
Posted Image

2nd
Posted Image

The motor is coming together :thumbsup:
Posted Image

I should get my new brake and fuel lines tomorrow so I'll get those installed then. Tonight I'm going to get the engine wire harness sorted out and mount the carburetor :chevy:

#38 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:06 AM

More motor pictures. Got it all wired up last night and got the carburetor installed. I was supposed to be doing brake and fuel lines but those items got shipped separately from the rest so they didn't show up with the miscellaneous parts yesterday. I also measured for the rear driveline last night too. I love progress! :thumbsup:

I found out that I got the wrong water pump and it interferes with the power steering pump bracket but that's an easy fix. I kinda wanted a black water pump anyway :laughing:
Posted Image

Posted Image

I've got a full weekend this weekend but I'm hoping to get some time on the old girl and get it ready to roll out of the garage so I can start getting the front clip cleaned up and back on.

#39 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:55 AM

Didn't get a whole lot of time to work on it over the weekend but I was still able to find a little each night. My steering showed up on Friday, gotta say that this is probably one of my favorite pieces on the truck. I can't wait to drive it! It's the rack and pinion kit from Unisteer, simple to bolt on the only thing that would've been nice was to have specific instructions for the 60-66 trucks. It still went together smooth though.
Posted Image

No turning back now!
Posted Image

Saturday, I got my air cleaner back from dad. All he did was clean it up, didn't need paint!
Posted Image

I also was able to get the front sway bar on after the Mother's Day festivities yesterday. It's coming together :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Still waiting on my brake and fuel lines. I'll give Classic Parts a call tomorrow if I don't see them tonight.

#40 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:48 AM

Things to do while waiting on brake line fittings. Got the rear driveline on, the correct water pump on, plumbed the fuel line from the tank to the pump and changed out the driver's side window track. I need to do a bit of tweaking with the driveline as it's biased towards the passenger side a bit but other than that it's coming together nicely.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I also carried the 250 valve cover over since it has Chevrolet on it and the 292 didn't. I searched high and low for the valve cover grommet that holds the tube to the air cleaner. Chevy didn't have it so I got an expandable freeze plug. Not pretty but functional and doesn't look too ugly either.
Posted Image

I will have my brake line fittings today when I get home. Tonight I'm headed to PIR for a track night to watch my buddy run his F100 and get some exposure to this new world I want to play in. Should be a great time!

#41 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:51 AM

Got a bunch more progress made over the weekend. I'm starting to realize I more than likely won't have it fully ready to go for the show on the 11th but I should be able to drive it on and off the trailer so that's ok. Not for lack of trying, it's just how it goes.

My buddy came over Saturday night and we plumbed the brake lines and the fuel line from the pump to the carb.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sunday morning, I tore right into it and removed the factory radiator mounts. The radiator I picked up needed a 3" rise to get the height I needed, it'll work great :metal:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

While I was fabbing up my riser, dad showed up and got to work on my tranny cross member. We had to slot the holes so the output could be pushed to the driver's side a little more. Once that was taken care of, I clearanced the frame a bit for my steering shaft for the rack. Way better now.
Posted Image

Rear sway bar going on
Posted Image

One thing that I knew was going to hold this whole show up was the accessory drives. I have been struggling to find the right water pump pulley and also the brackets that will bolt the power steering pump to the engine bracket. I found those things last night! Cost a bit more than I'd like but they are what I needed so it's not too bad.
Posted Image

More work will continue this week and into the weekend!

#42 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:49 AM

Got the rear sway bar on last night and started mocking the engine stuff up. It's starting to look like something :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Posted Image

I ordered a turnbuckle so I can tension the power steering belt, I should have that tomorrow night. I may make a bracket that bolts to the pump for the turnbuckle but I'm not sure yet. Gotta see how it all lines up first.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not sure if I'm digging the chrome bracket or not, I'll have to see how long before it bugs me and I paint it black :laughing:

#43 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:06 AM

I got the chance to work on the truck all weekend. While I didn't get to make progress on the things I wanted to, I was able to hammer out a bunch of little things that had popped up and I did get to hear it run! I still have to tinker with the alternator bracket and build my power steering adjuster bracket before I can run it for longer but hearing it run was definitely awesome!

Work was a little slow on Friday so I was able to break away from my desk for a few and hammer out the pieces I needed to hook my clutch pedal up to the master.
Posted Image

I had tapped one of them to 5/16-18 but needed 5/16-24, doh! I actually cut a section of the factory panhard bar to remake it, worked slick!
Posted Image

Linkage shot
Posted Image

Pedal is right in line with the brake pedal, much better for me :)
Posted Image

The lower radiator hose put up more of a fight than I thought. I spent easily half the day on Saturday just trying to find one that worked. Thought I had it but when I got home, it still didn't work. I had some 1.75 tubing laying around from an old project and had the perfect bend in it. Lucky!
Posted Image

Finished up, looks great! I did run a weld bead around each end to create a lip so the hoses don't slip off later.
Posted Image

Got the shocks on
Posted Image

Sunday night, I pushed it out of the garage to give it some fresh air and make room for the bed pieces. This is the first time it's been outside since March!
Posted Image

Posted Image

I did get a wild hare and fired it up too. I didn't have the belts on it so I only ran it for a short time. It seems to run great!
https://www.youtube....h?v=3e9-tnDUMeo

Yesterday, I worked on the bed and dad came by to help troubleshoot the clutch. He fixed some of it but it appears that the throwout bearing isn't 100% correct on the shift fork so looks like I get to pull the tranny and fix that.
Bed wood turned out great! I wish it had the holes in it but that's also looking like why this kit was cheaper than anywhere else. No biggie.
Posted Image

#44 Tryan100

Tryan100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:44 AM

Wow this is turning out pretty damn cool.

#45 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:59 AM

View PostTryan100, on 31 May 2016 - 07:44 AM, said:

Wow this is turning out pretty damn cool.

Thanks man, these comments keep me going!

Alright, had an awesome weekend with the Jeep Jamboree crew, it's truly one of my favorite events that I get to help out with. The participants make it awesome and I can't wait until next year!
I tinkered with the truck last night and ended up getting the tranny back in, it was a bit of a chore at first but I was able to get the angle of the tranny close to the motor and it basically slid right in. I was super stoked!

The reason why I had to drop the tranny in the first place. That spring clip is supposed to be on the other side of the throwout bearing, doh!
Posted Image

And it's back in!
Posted Image

If my buddy doesn't work on the fenders tonight, I'll be getting the driveline put back in and work on the modifications I need to do to get the alternator on. Once that's done, I need to work on the bed and get it back on while transferring some of the wiring over from the front clip just in case I'm far enough along to take it to the show on Saturday :thumbsup:

#46 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:38 AM

Tinkered on it again last night and got the alternator and power steering pumps mounted. Had a buddy come over to see if the clutch is releasing and it still isn't. Another buddy gave me the part number for a longer throwout bearing so I'm going to look into that during lunch today. Not looking forward to pulling the tranny again but if it'll solve the issue, it's worth it.

Turnbuckle for the power steering pump belt
Posted Image

Alternator and power steering pump on with an alternator belt even :metal:
Posted Image

#47 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:01 AM

Update from the weekend. I dropped the tranny down Friday night to take some measurements and everything seemed to have plenty of clearance, until I measured the length of the input and compared it to the dimension from bottomed out on the crank to the bellhousing. I had a bunch of interference there. I put the tranny in my vise and chopped about 1/4" off the end of the input shaft. When we went to stab it back in, we kept hitting a hard stop and no matter what, we couldn't get it to slide in. What had happened was after the tranny came out, I put the clutch alignment tool in the clutch and had dad push the clutch pedal, the clutch released and I must have pulled the alignment tool out a little too soon and the clutch disc dropped down so the hard stop that we were feeling was the pilot bushing.

Last night, I put the new pilot bushing in place and got the clutch and bellhousing on the motor. Tonight, the tranny will go back on and hopefully work like it's supposed to. Fingers crossed!

Posted Image

Posted Image

New throwout bearing, it'll get rid of the free play in the pedal.
Posted Image

Gotta love backwards progress!
Posted Image

The awesome pilot bushing
Posted Image

#48 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

I've had the tranny in and out probably 10 times while making small adjustments to things. I think I have it licked now but we will have to wait and see. The joys of hot rodding :laughing:

#49 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:26 AM

Found out that the remaining reason for the tranny to be bound up was the clutch disc was slid all the way to the relief cuts for the splines on the input shaft. I decided to make a 3/16" spacer to go between the bellhousing and the transmission to alleviate this issue. I also cut a ring for the bearing retainer so I will have proper engagement in the hole for the bellhousing. A little clean up and lathe work and this should be together and working soon!

My buddy has a Torchmate table in his garage which is super nice to have access to.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I was contemplating swapping the input shaft to the Jeep unit but decided to go this route to get it on the road a little quicker. I'll have this thing licked sooner or later!

#50 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:54 AM

Cleaned up the spacers on lunch yesterday and got the ring for the bearing retainer turned down to the right diameter. Fit it up when I got home and it all fit :thumbsup:

The motor and tranny came with another bearing retainer that was in bad shape and I wasn't going to use. I bolted the ring to the retainer and put the snout in the lathe. Worked great!
Posted Image

Test fit everything just to make sure it all fit.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, my buddy needed a new coolant bypass plug made so I played around and made this. Turned out killer!
Posted Image

Tonight, I'm going to help my buddy with the brakes on his truck so he can hit up a track night on Friday. I'll see about stabbing the tranny back in my truck Friday night or Saturday.