#51 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:05 AM

A few more times of installing and removing the tranny and I have a setup that works! The spacer worked perfect and all the parts worked together like they were supposed to. So happy to be able to move on and re-start the assembly process!

Between tinkering on the truck this weekend, I had a little "Scoot time" and walked down to the park for the Hot Air Balloon Festival Saturday night and did some rock therapy in the Jeep on Sunday. It was a great weekend!
There were supposed to be 8 or so balloons all lit up but I guess there was too much wind so only one was brave enough. It was pretty cool to see the process to get it all setup and ready to fly though.
Posted Image

Posted Image

A little paint transfer from a tree, no big deal.
Posted Image

I painted the bed strips body color a while back and last night rounded up all the strip hardware and gave them a coat of body color also. I think it'll look good and finish off the bed a bit.
Posted Image

More to come this week. If everything goes right, I should have the bed back on the truck and the driveline sent out to get shortened due to my spacer.

#52 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:45 AM

Tinkered with it last night, I gotta say that messing with the tranny for so long killed the motivation levels a bit. I wasn't sure what I would need to do to the tranny crossmember to get it bolted back up and all it needed was opening the holes on the frame attachment side. Easy!

The shifter was a bit of a reach into 3rd and 5th was way out there so I cut a couple slices at the base of the lever and pulled it over to close the slices. Worked well and is much much better!

1st gear
Posted Image

5th gear. It's about where 3rd used to be, can't get much better than that!
Posted Image

Here you can see the bend that I put in it
Posted Image

And just because the chrome looked out of place, I painted it black. It should look way better now!
Posted Image

Here's a shot of what the bed will look like. I painted the strips and the hardware body color with a semi-gloss sealer on the oak. It's going to look great.
Posted Image

#53 Buc4x

Buc4x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:03 AM

coming along nicely!

#54 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:53 AM

Got the bed on the truck this weekend and my buddy started fixing the bad fender. He will also be shooting them for me, I can't wait to see them on the truck!

The front panel was pretty messed up and wouldn't allow me to put the bed wood in. No matter what I tried, it just wasn't going to be fixed while it was still bolted to the bed so I took it off and actually lightly stomped it flat. Worked great!
Posted Image

I didn't get an after shot since the wood fit. I started putting the wood in and then my dad and friend stopped by so we put the bed on the truck. Progress!
Posted Image

Just for fun, we held a fender up :thumbsup:
Posted Image

My buddy was working on my passenger fender on Sunday, the rust was so bad that he used the whole patch panel. I learned a bunch watching him work and even though we have never done this before, it's turning out great.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:49 AM

Weekend work yielded the bed and bed wood tightened and I rolled it out of the garage to start working on the front clip. I wasn't going to but ended up pulling the inner fenders and core support apart. I've got some rust to take care of, minimal, and this will allow me to do a better job cleaning it all up too.

Posted Image

You can kinda see on the right bedside here that just a quick cleaner wax and polish found green paint! It's going to look pretty neat all cleaned up!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's all I've got for now. Hopefully this weekend I can start piecing the front clip back on the truck and who knows, maybe even drive it around the block  :thumbsup:

#56 Jay W

Jay W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:54 PM

You're going to end up painting the whole truck at this rate! Looks good.

#57 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

View PostJay W, on 11 July 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

You're going to end up painting the whole truck at this rate! Looks good.

Right???

Painting the whole truck, if it happens, will be a year or 2 out. Right now, I'm thinking it might be worth looking for a cab that's in better shape than mine. Mine is a lot better than most but still has rust in the corners, rockers, floors and cab supports. The cab supports are basically non-existent :help:

#58 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:57 AM

Got a bunch done on the front clip this weekend! My buddy finished up the other fender and even found time on Saturday to shoot both of them for me. I wasn't expecting that! When I got home from his house, I tore into the inner fenders and started the rust repair. It took a while but I got both done between Saturday afternoon and yesterday. Squirted some paint on them and the core support last night and maybe get to installing them tonight if the weather holds out. I'm also hoping to get it into the exhaust shop on Saturday as well. It's coming right along!

52 years of dirt and rust in here
Posted Image

Patch all welded and sanded smooth, didn't take too much filler on this one
Posted Image

Paint! We have our work cut out for us to make the truck look as good as it can to match the fenders as much as possible before we degrade the finish of the fenders to match the rest of the truck :laughing:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Driver inner fender had a bunch of rust
Posted Image

Patch all welded in
Posted Image

I also had to rebuild the braces for both sides as well. They aren't perfect but nobody will see them so they are perfect for the truck!
Posted Image

Passenger side had some as well, it went a little quicker than the driver's side because I had a plan and jumped right in
Posted Image

Patch all welded in and primed
Posted Image

Just for fun, I set the core support on the frame to check a couple things. Fresh paint makes everything look great!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/KfDydF]Posted Image

That's all I've got for now.

#59 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:00 AM

It was supposed to rain all day yesterday but it didn't rain a drop so I got busy getting the front clip put back together when I got home last night. Sent a picture to my buddy and he came by to buff some of the paint out and to start getting the new fenders to match the truck. I'm so ecstatic on how this is turning out, just a little time with the buffer and the paint will look amazing again!

Inner fenders are on, I had to trim the driver's side a bit to clear my new steering shaft for the rack so there was a bit of on and off cycles but it wasn't terrible.
Posted Image

Next was the core support, went on nice and easy
Posted Image

My buddy stopped by to start making the fenders match the truck and got the passenger side of the cab buffed out. I'm getting excited to drive this thing again!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The fenders are a bit cloudy so we're going to let the paint cure for a while longer and see if we can get the color to match a bit better. Not a horrible match in my opinion though!
Posted Image
Going to call and set the exhaust appointment up today for hopefully Saturday. I gotta get a couple things ready before hand but I can do it!

#60 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:46 AM

Last night I made a little bracket for the choke cable and the throttle return spring. I'm not super excited about how it came out but it hides under the air cleaner so it's ok :laughing: . I also wired the 3 wire alternator, super easy, and had to test my work by firing it up. Started up pretty easy for sitting for a couple months, can't wait to take it to get exhaust on Saturday!

https://www.youtube....h?v=HmmeGcB3OaI

#61 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:58 AM

Lots of progress this weekend! Got the exhaust done on Saturday and started buffing the bed and fenders out Saturday night. Sunday, dad came over and helped me get the passenger rear fender on, taillights mounted and wired, grille and bezels painted and driver's rear fender off the truck so I can buff it. It's super amazing how good the paint looks with just a little elbow grease!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sounds good!
https://www.youtube....h?v=xufvyQHidyI

Buffed out passenger fender

Posted Image

Posted Image

I used CLR and got most of the black paint off the driver rear fender
Posted Image

Just playin around
Posted Image

I did get the chance to drive it around the neighborhood and it seems to drive really well, I can't wait to get it on the road though! I will be needing to pull the tranny down and rebuild it at some point as I can't downshift into 2nd without going through 1st. Sounds like it's a syncro but I can still drive it around before I tear into it.

#62 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:46 AM

More progress last night! A buddy came over and acted as helper/comedian/BS expert last night. I knocked out a bunch of things including tightening and aligning the fenders, adding the hood latch and filler pieces, installing the grille, getting the headlights to work and getting the brake lights to work. It's one step closer to assaulting the streets!

I had to make a little riser/filler piece for the radiator clamp to hold correctly. It finished off the top of the radiator and works to hold the radiator nice and secure.
Posted Image

After a trip to the auto parts store for more panel shims, we bolted the grille on. I'm so ecstatic on how this thing is coming together! I have a letter kit for the grille but I don't trust myself enough to put them in proper so I'll probably have another friend help me there.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Getting the headlights to work was easy, I just needed a new dimmer switch. Also, getting the brake lights to work was easy too, the brake light switch needed to be replaced. I love the blue dot lights!
Posted Image

As you can tell, I still have some work to do on the bed and the hood but I'll be taking Friday off work so I can button up what I don't get done tomorrow night. Hoping to have it together early enough to cruise around town a little bit and hit up a weekly cruise in :thumbsup:

#63 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:27 PM

Time for a little backwards travel through time to Friday. I started off at 8:30 with this list of things to get done throughout the day so I could make a cruise in that evening.
Posted Image

Things were getting crossed off one by one until I needed my buddy's help to get the hood on. He showed up a little after 11 and we knocked the hood out pretty quickly. I drilled through the hinges and hood so aligning them was super easy. It was so awesome seeing the hood on it finally :metal:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Next up were the bumpers. I got a little confused on the rear brackets but got them figured out. I also buffed each bumper before putting them on. They really turned out nice!
Posted Image

Posted Image

A little after 3:30 and I had the list all done! I was hoping to get done a little earlier but hey, I got it done and made it to the cruise in!
Posted Image

Mine and dad's trucks, they got quite a bit of attention!
Posted Image

Posted Image

I still have some things to get done, mount the steps, finish the tailgate and then tie up a few loose ends but I'm super excited to put some miles on it!

#64 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:58 AM

After putting a bunch of miles on it since Friday, I gotta say that I'm really pleased with the truck! There isn't anything that I would change right away but there are a couple things that I would've done differently during the build if I were to do it again. Things like ordering a disc brake kit with drop spindles instead of stock spindles and looking at the No Limit stuff a bit more.

I still have a couple things to get done, mount the steps and clean and paint the tailgate but I love driving this thing and can't wait for its first autocross, it's going to be a blast!
Posted Image

#65 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:22 AM

Big weekend for this old pickup! Saturday morning, we started out lowering the truck more. It had a 2/3 drop in it and looked good but I wanted it lower. I opted for a 5.5/7 drop from CPP. The front is 3" springs with their modular 2.5" drop spindles and the rear is 5" springs with 2" blocks. It went together mostly without a hitch, it was sure nice only being in there a few miles ago :cool:

My buddy let us use his lift, it was so nice working on this thing not on the ground.
Posted Image

About an hour later, we had the front done :metal:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#66 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:22 AM

The rear challenged us a bit more, we had a burr on one of the u-bolts that hung us up but luckily it was low enough on the threads that we cut the bad part out and used the stock nuts. I also had to relocate my sway bar from on top of the axle to below the axle. Nothing major.
Posted Image

Had to cut the hitch off, it would have drug on everything :(
Posted Image

Tucking tire at full droop. Perfect! :metal:
Posted Image

Something that I saw when I put the truck together but never paid attention to was my passenger rear fender. It had been rubbed on something and pushed in pretty far. A little work with a piece of tube and it's mostly good as new.
Posted Image

Here it is, 4 hours after we started. It looks so much better and still rides ok with the factory shock mounts. I'll have no limit rear shock mounts on it and a relocation kit for the upper mount on the front shocks soon
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the part that I'm still in shock about. I came back by in the evening and my buddy that I've been helping on car/truck projects in the last year had a surprise for me. He picked me up a 2002 5.3 with about 160,000 miles on it and a few other things I wanted when I do the swap. It'll have a car intake on it, bigger injectors, etc. Should be pretty rowdy! There's a big C10 meet a few hours North of me in May so I'll have the truck back together for that. Time to get busy :metal:
Posted Image

#67 Jay W

Jay W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

Cool! Been wondering about this project.

#68 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostJay W, on 06 February 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

Cool! Been wondering about this project.

Pretty much been tinkering with the small things but mostly putting miles on it! I think I'm around 3,000 miles since July and it was even my DD for about a month and a half. It's been dead reliable which has made me feel pretty good about what I built :)

#69 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

Tinkered on the old truck yesterday. Not sure why but after lowering the truck down, the brake pedal got really soft. I've re-bled, replaced parts and even checked how the brake lines are routed and it's better but still not what it was. I'm still plugging away on that, my next thing to check is to get some shorter brake lines for it.

Before bed last night, I went and got the 5.3 on the engine stand and took the intake off so I could start sizing up what I needed for the car intake. Good and bad things happened. It turns out that before the guy sold the engine, he decided to wash it but not plug any of the holes. Bad to see water in it but good that it's at this stage. Everything is still in great shape, it just came with a little extra water

It sure has a great stance now!
Posted Image

Posted Image

First thing I saw when I pulled the intake, this is looking down the head
Posted Image

Oil pan was cracked, I'm glad I don't need this one
Posted Image

Posted Image

It sure made a mess when I turned it over!
Posted Image

All in all, it looked scary and disappointing but things really aren't all that bad inside. Run it and see what happens :thumbsup:

#70 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:18 AM

It was quite the weekend for the old Army Truck this weekend. I had Monday off and didn't hesitate to spend as much time in the shop as I could with the cold that I have.

Saturday started with my buddy and his nephew coming over to help pull the front clip and get the motor put back together; 3 people doing work gets stuff done pretty quick! A few other friends stopped by throughout the day to check up on the progress. Lots of people are as excited as I am for this :thumbsup:

Here's what the motor looked like when I took the heads off. I was surprised at how clogged the water passages were, looks like the dex-cool was the culprit.
Posted Image

And after my buddy attacked it with a brass wire brush and some cleaner
Posted Image

Squirted some fresh paint on the block to make it pretty
Posted Image

Tanner and I went and grabbed lunch while my buddy stayed back to wait for another friend to bring us better tools to put the head bolts in with. Sean cleaned up the valley pan and reinstalled it while we were out. It's really crazy how just a few minutes of elbow grease will enhance the look of everything!
Posted Image

Posted Image

I picked up some LS9 head gaskets, they are a multi-layer gasket and came on the ZR1 supercharged motor, should be good for some boost down the road :ninja:  Here it is mostly assembled, I ordered pushrods and rocker arms yesterday as half of them were ground down due to not enough oil getting to the rocker arm. Seems like a common problem due to not changing the oil frequently enough. It's a good looking engine for a junkyard motor!
Posted Image

I also picked up an F body oil pan for a little more clearance on the crossmember and the ground
Posted Image

A little artsy shot that Sean took, it was pouring down rain in this picture and looked really cool with the sun poking out of the clouds too
Posted Image

That ended Saturday's work, Sunday I spent the day with my parents showing a friend of my brother's around town as he is working in Portland for a few months and living with my parents. I was super excited about the progress and how the motor turned out, I was getting a little skeptical of it but it will be a great little motor.

#71 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

Yesterday, I spent the morning trying to find the pushrods and rocker arms locally but struck out so I got them off of Rock Auto. After I got back from running around, I started draining fluids and unhooking everything so I could yard the motor and tranny out of the truck. Dad stopped by in the afternoon just as I was ready to get the cherry picker hooked up. Perfect timing.

I feel like I was just here :)
Posted Image

Empty frame, time to clean it up a bit and get it ready to stab the new motor in
Posted Image

The 292 on the engine stand waiting for someone to buy it
Posted Image

Sometime this week, the LS should be sitting in the frame!

#72 Tryan100

Tryan100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

What motor is it?

#73 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:34 AM

View PostTryan100, on 21 February 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

What motor is it?

The 5.3 or the 292?

#74 Tryan100

Tryan100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:53 PM

#75 scoot_mcgrute

scoot_mcgrute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationTigard, Or

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:55 AM

Pretty big night last night! My buddy Sean came over and helped me get the motor in the truck. It went without too much drama, I do have to run the motor farther forward than I was expecting but that's not a big deal at all. My steering rack is occupying the same space as the power steering pump wants to but I found a cool alternator and power steering pump relocation kit last night that gives it a cool old school feel. I was hoping to run the stock exhaust manifolds but looks like it's just too tight so I'll more than likely pick up some Hooker exhaust manifolds. It's all coming together and looking good!

Posted Image

Posted Image