#1 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:49 PM

Posted Image

Join us for WOHVA Legislative Day and connect with like-minded OHV users, as you meet with your elected officials in Olympia!

We are meeting for breakfast at 700AM (location TBD). Tod Petersen, the WOHVA Political Action Chair, will be on hand to share tips on how to successfully meet with your elected officials.

After breakfast a WOHVA volunteer will accompany first-timers to a pre-scheduled meeting with their Representatives and/or Senator.

Please email Tod at pac@wohva.org if you are interested in serving as a volunteer guide or if you want to pre-register for the event. We will be making appointments for anyone that pre-registers and wants to take advantage of a volunteer guide. Please include your legislative district in the email...you can find it at http://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/

See you all there!

Please make sure to invite all your OHV friends!

https://www.facebook...99299640135313/
http://wohva.org/event-2115335

#2 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:51 PM

I have a scheduling conflict at the moment, but am going to try and move some things around and go to this if anyone is interested and wants to carpool. I've never been to The Capitol Building and am kinda curious.  Hell, I've never even met a senator (although I did play marbles with George W once.)

#3 dirk

dirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Locationwashington

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:23 AM

Our first official WOHVA Legislative Day has come and gone.

With literally 10 members from the Fringe Motorcycle Club attending … and then Tod Petersen, Grant Nelson, Bryan Peterson, Mike Reimer & Byron Stuck … We'd say we had 15 attendees (not bad considering WTA with MUCH more staff investment only had 25’ish!). And not bad considering the lack of any particular lightning rod bills or issues to attract a mass attendance (apparently free chow isn’t enough!).

Tod had us all prepared with handouts and instructions, and the Hilton food was ready when we arrived. We had a huge room but knew it would be too big when reserving it “just in case". We spoke to the attendees about our OHV issues, how to identify and meet with their legislators and answered questions. We handed them “thank you gifts” for the legislators as well (a trifold with two chocolates and an orange emergency whistle attached!). With the Fringe group being primarily from one geographic area they ended up moving through the legislative office areas "like a huge tidal wave” making our OHV presence readily apparent!

The rest of us had more direct encounters and several of us ended the morning with a 10:45 AM meeting with the Governor’s new recreation advisor, Jon Snyder. Jon is a quick study and, knowing he didn’t know much about motorized off road, he had as many questions for us as we had messages for him. He’s tasked with increasing the economic footprint of recreation in our state, and we explained all the OHV-unfriendly practices in our state that send our members to Idaho, Oregon, Colorado and Utah … instead of staying local, AND instead of bringing IN visitors and their dollars from those other states.

Lessons learned from the whole day were:

1. promote attendance much more and earlier,
2. Identify legislators before people show up and if possible schedule their visits, and
3. Further simplify our messaging about what’s important (this may be an all-new experience for our members and they need their script to be simple and sweet).

We will be back again next year...be sure you are there!

#4 dirk

dirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Locationwashington

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:08 AM

On a more personal note, actually going in to meet 1-on-1 with my elected folks was something I had never done.  I knew I should, but had chickened out in years past.  It was actually pretty easy.  I emailed them the MON prior and requested an appointment....I think a phone call would have worked too if the turn around time was shorter.  They seemed genuinely stoked to have a voting member of their district sitting in their office.  I walked away feeling great about the interaction and it will make contacting them in the future that much easier.  Now they know my face and might be more inclined to support pro-OHV legislation when I contact them in the future.

If you don't know who your elected senator/representatives are, click on the link below and shoot them an email to introduce yourself.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/

Get on their email mailing list and see when they are hosting a community meeting in your area.  As it turns out, all 3 of my elected folks are hosting a meeting on 02/20 in Kent....I'll be showing up to reinforce my support of OHV use.

:thumbsup:

#5 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:39 AM

I was actually pretty bummed to have had to miss this. On one hand, meeting with a politician could rank right up there with masturbating with a cheese grater (slightly amusing but mostly just painful) but on the other hand, it's something I've never done before and I'm curious to how it all works. If this is what it takes to get funding then it's what we all need to start doing.

On another note, I was looking forward to taking Macy to this as well. I think it would be good experience for the next generation to learn how this stuff works as well.

#6 dirk

dirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Locationwashington

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

The meetings were much easier than I expected...I recommend emailing/calling ahead to schedule a meeting.