25 replies to this topic

#1 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:47 AM

This is one of the events during Trail Hero at Sand Hollow but it's tooooo damn cool to not have it's own thread.

Here's the full version http://www.pirate4x4...ible-trail.html and is definitely worth the read. Hand's down the best thing that's been on Pirate in a long time!

For those of you who don't follow links or refuse to go to Pirate here's the jist of it....Lil' Rich has a secret area picked out that's never been ran before. He's inviting 6 drivers (sounds like it might end up being closer to 10) to come break the trail at the Trail Hero event in October. Rich says it's extremely gnarly and he's not even completely sure if it's doable! There's several PNW and Canada guys with their names getting thrown in the hat for this one.

#2 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:49 AM

From Lil' Rich...

I have a trail literally in my backyard that may not be passable. For those that know me, I generally have a pretty good handle on what a vehicle can accomplish. In my opinion, only the best of the best with the best equipment would be able to drive this trail.

I am putting together an effort to break in this trail. I don't want more than 6 rigs on the trail, it gets too tight and would take too long with more. I am arranging Television and magazine coverage along with even putting together some Pirate Coverage. So With that being said, which 6 drivers are the best in North America?

I have driven portions of this trail but there are 4 waterfalls that are too difficult for me and my rig. The trail is a series of waterfalls in a boulder strewn slot canyon. The pics below do not show the hardest obstacles, intact they are the easiest. This week I will get more pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

More from Rich...

Going through this thread I have found a few questions that I would like to address, namely how this unique event will be run. First and foremost, I would like to emphasize that this "Trail Breaker" event is actually a feature of a much larger event called "Trail Hero." Trail Hero is a 4 day long event that features every facet of our sport: An Endurance Race, a Rock Crawl, a Rock Race, Trail Rides, and Geo-Caching all which are features or events for participants to experience, and the entire event is free to spectators (Donations accepted will be given to Utah Public Lands Alliance).

Posted Image

The reason for this event is to create a single event that hosts every form of our Rock Sports Industry, join it with a world class wheeling destination that is fairly un-used, make sure that we have the capability to cater to high end clients as well as make sure that there is something for everyone.

Trail Hero will be October 5th-8th 2016 and is located at Sand Hollow State Park just outside of Hurricane, Utah. We chose Sand Hollow for several reasons: close proximity to a decent sized town (Hurricane, Utah), the great network of experienced local clubs, the fact that this area is virtually untouched by our industry, the amenities which include onsite wet and dry camping, a lake, and 5-star resort.

This is being billed as the one true Rock Sports Industry Event due to the fact that we will have every form of our sport and that also features the Rock Sports Gala (Where we take over Sand Hollow Resort, home of a 5 Star golf course and clubhouse).  

Now on to the Trail Breaker.

Our #1 goal when thinking of this event was to reach back into our roots of trail wheeling and find out what makes a great driver. To do this I asked a few very skilled drivers what their thoughts were. The number one answer was not just being able to drive the line, but see the line and feel it as you drive.

One thing that has displaced much of this process in Competitive Rock Crawling is the ability to watch the driver ahead of you, see what their line is and if it works. Once the line is figured out, it almost becomes a game of copy-cat driving and much of what separates teams are mistakes and vehicles.

Therefore, to find out who is the best, Drivers will not be allowed to watch one another on the course. Think old school early rock crawling days like Warn Nationals in Las Cruces. The canyon wound around and made it nearly impossible for teams to watch each other on course.

Next is how to score the event. A frustrating portion of Rock Crawling is the human element. Judging an event is literally one of the hardest things to do, and just like a football game, there is always an eventual error the interpretation of the rules, or something didn't get caught.

In the same sense, if it is based on time throughout the trail, it becomes a rock race, and takes a different type of skill. When this happens vehicles often break, clog up trails, lengthen the event, and usually it happens on the more flat ground rather than the real obstacle.

Both ways of scoring the event work well for their respective types of motorsports. Both KOH and W.E.ROCK have done well with their formats and I love the excitement each bring to their own version of our sport. I for one, never want to compete against either Dave or Big Rich. Instead what I want to do is Complement their efforts and focus on our roots as well as give the hidden talent somewhere in the trails an honest chance to show themselves.

To score this event we are using the element of time and points, but we will only score the vehicle while it is trying the actual obstacle. Each obstacle completed will reward the team the point value given to that obstacle based on difficulty. Overall Time from each course would be the tie breaker. Therefore time would start once the front tires touched the "Waterfall" and end when the vehicle has completely made the single Obstacle. If the vehicle cannot complete the obstacle in the allotted time, then they will receive a Zero points, max time and then be timed for their attempt at the bypass (Which is also not easy).

What confines the vehicle to the course is the obstacle itself, there is no boundary, cones, etc. With this we believe that this will not turn into a rock race as it will take definitive skill and slow movement to actually climb the obstacle. As much as these are waterfalls and obstacles, they will surely need to be driven with precision, which cannot be done with speed.

Drivers will be able to walk the trail for one hour prior to the start, and the order will be randomly drawn by teams the night prior at our Kickoff Party.

With all this, and the response that we have received for this feature, we will be expanding the event to 10 total positions. 9 of which will be hand selected by myself, and the last position to be voted on by the members of Pirate.

The group that Pirate votes on will be selected by the drivers of the event plus myself, 10 total candidates. The selection from the teams may not be related in any way (ie, this guy built the candidates car, they wheel all the time together, they have the same car, they are from the same portion of the country). I believe this will allow us to pick the correct individuals rather ran just have a "Southwest" event.

Lastly, Nominees listed in this thread MUST have pictures posted as a reference in order to qualify as a potential candidate. The more pics and Vids of the nominee, the better the chances of their selection, as it allows the drivers to accurately pick the best choice.

I look forward to hosting such a unique event with the help from the industry and the drivers and hope this allows us to reach into our past and create something that can be really fun to watch and partake in for the future.

#4 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

More pics of the trail.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 fj401ton

fj401ton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Locationcoquitlam, british columbia canada

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

This particular event sounds very cool,, id love to try those lines.

Planning to hit sandhollow in the spring to check out some hard lines ,,, and then aim for this in the fall

#6 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:45 PM

Pacific Northwest Driver Selected for Trail Hero’s Toughest Feature 12/31/15 – Hurricane, Utah.  James Treacy of Beaverton, Oregon will battle against the Nation’s top drivers in the new competitive format that is expected to find the best Trail Wheeler in the U.S. Trail Hero’s feature known as the “Trail Breaker” will pit 10 drivers against each other on an impossible trail that has never been driven before. The forth of 10 “Invite Only” entries, Treacy will join a cast of high profile drivers with countless wins and experience.  The “Trail Breaker” feature will have an invite of 9 drivers plus 1 driver voted in by the members of the website Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world.. The “Trail Breaker” will begin the morning of Oct. 6th in an undisclosed location available to media and participants only.  About James Treacy: Treacy is no slouch when it comes to hardcore wheeling as he is well known and revered as one of the Pacific Northwest’s best drivers. Treacy has competed in the W.E.ROCK Nationals during events local to the PNW and placed in the top positions consistently over the last decade. James drives a vehicle that he custom built specifically for an environment such as the Trail Breaker. A front engine, rear steer Jeep TJ Buggy that has room for his wife and child as well.

#7 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:17 PM

Sucks about no spectators on the new trail.

#8 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

View PostSHREK, on 31 December 2015 - 10:17 PM, said:

Sucks about no spectators on the new trail.

Yeah, I hope that media coverage will be good then.

#9 Tryan100

Tryan100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:25 PM

Tom get your self a safety vest and go where you want.  Seems like they tend to have fanny packs too.  You would probably do better then them anyway.

#10 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:43 PM

That would be fun!

#11 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:53 AM

I'm sure Rich would let you film.

#12 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

Guess we will have to wait to see of I can get out of the state for once.

#13 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:50 AM

Looks tight! :turned:

#14 Tryan100

Tryan100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:52 PM

I like the rules!  Sounds like a party lol.

#15 ChevyJoe

ChevyJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:33 PM

Anybody on here going? This or island cup??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:08 PM

So much media coverage! It doesn't look like they needed me lol

#17 POR

POR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • LocationYour moms

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:52 PM

It really doesn't take a bunch of people to video Jesse and Tracy hahaha

#18 Landabuser

Landabuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley WA

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:54 PM

Stubs on Pirate has a good thread going. He was there all week. Lotsa pictures and videos.

#19 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:24 PM

View PostPOR, on 10 October 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

It really doesn't take a bunch of people to video Jesse and Tracy hahaha

There is so much more video and not just of those 2. Lots of live coverage and I saw plenty on media vests and drones.

#20 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:26 PM

#21 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

#22 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:03 PM

Is it just me or can anyone else see the "plug in?"

#23 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:12 PM

Goddamned Youtube. So much for embedding videos.....

#24 Floorit

Floorit

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,562 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

View PostPhantom 309, on 12 October 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

Goddamned Youtube. So much for embedding videos.....

What do you mean?

#25 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:54 PM