27 replies to this topic

#1 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

Does anyone know anything about this? Tracy sent this and said it's hanging up at the Liberty Cafe.   I found this on a quick google search.  http://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=44149

Attached File  Pine Swauk Sign.jpg   64.4K   32 downloads

#2 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

Sooooo......here's the skeezy. I'm told that this project lost it's legs and was shelved in 2014 but is now back. The plan is to decommission about 23 miles of trails/roads. You can see what I'm talking about here on the map.

Attached File  Pine Swauk Road Map.jpg   170.46K   17 downloads

Here's what Tracy had to say:

Just got done talking to my friends that live in Liberty so here is a little clarification from what he could tell on the map , every trail starting point that you can hit with in a 5 mile range of Liberty campground on the east side of the highway will be closed , including most of the old logging roads and green dot roads starting in this area.So needless to say we really need to try and get as many people as possible to attend this informational meeting for support.

It sounds like the entire Eburg crew is going to turn out for this, along with Homey, Zip and hopefully some more from the West side. Anybody is welcome to join. We'll probably do some beers and bbq at Finney's as well.

#3 RTH

RTH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationCleElum

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:04 PM

This is no good

I'll be there for this

#4 green1

green1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Locationellensburg

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:08 AM

I should be there im thinkin.  thanks for the info!

#5 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:13 AM

There are going to be three citizens meetings with the forest service regarding this.

Tuesday 3/15
Ellensburg Fairgrounds
Manastash Room
11-1PM

Thursday 3/24
Cle Elum Senior Center
5-7PM

Saturday 3/26
Liberty Fire Station
1-3PM

There is also going to be a 30 day formal comment period. ONLY people and organizations that submit a specific, written comment (I'll post those requirements later) will be able to object to the draft proposal later this spring.

From what I hear (Thanks Tracy!) the mining community is up at arms over this as well.

#6 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:32 PM

What is the reasoning for them wanting to close all that?

#7 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

http://a123.g.akamai...LT3_3016540.pdf

#8 Jay W

Jay W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:50 PM

226 pages.......we could be here a while.

#9 RTH

RTH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationCleElum

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

View Posttom58c, on 12 March 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

Thanks Tom for posting this.

#10 RTH

RTH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationCleElum

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

View PostJay W, on 12 March 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

226 pages.......we could be here a while.

Hold/Type "Control Button + F" and search Jeep and that will help navigating ALLOT of the pages.

ALLOT of fine print to sift through BUT it looks like they are taking into consideration "relocating" some trails....

#11 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:22 AM

Posted Image

Comment period started Thursday (Thanks Heifer!)

#12 RTH

RTH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationCleElum

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

Main thought i took from today was IF this goes through relocating and reestablishing trails WILL be part of the project.

BUT the time frame for this work is entirely dependent on the contractors pace and time frame throughout the project. The contractor has UP TO 5 YEARS with an option of an extension to complete their work, at their own pace.... throughout this time, specific trails will be closed until completion of work. Once again, up to and possibly extending past 5 years.

The major portions considering to be relocated are evolved trails that are not originally part of the ORIGINAL established trail.... that said there're still portions of 4w332 and 339 that are parts of the ORIGINAL trail that are also going to be decommissioned

Personally, we need to retain everything we can. The allotted contractor time frame is what errks me about the whole thing.

#13 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

Sounds to me like a good excuse to drag their feet, make people forget and close it for good.

#14 RTH

RTH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationCleElum

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

yes Tom that's it

I waited till i got a spoonful of forest service, to get my thoughts straight before i placed my comments. In case you have not checked the project page, here's a quick link to place you comment:

https://cara.ecosyst...t?Project=44149

#15 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:32 AM

Nice report! Thank you!

#16 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

Finneys, Colcars, Kasey, Tracy and I went to the Liberty meeting today. I'd like to hear what the official count is but there was a damn good turnout! I had a good time talking with Homey & the Rok'd N Lok'd crew as well as some others that I hadn't seen in a while.

It'll probably be tomorrow or Monday before I get time to put my thoughts down, but they lie right in line with what RTH had to say.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 RTH

RTH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationCleElum

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:10 PM

thank you for the pics!

My focus with my comment is how inexcusable their time frame is.

5+ years is insulting to every volunteer and enthusiast that help keep trails open and cleared year after year. If illegal trails and reroutes are becoming a concern for the well being of the surrounding area, there are VAST amount of other options rather than prolonged closures, trail relocation and full on decommissioning. There isn't a doubt in my mind that the offroad community would be MORE than helpful and accommodating in regards to barricading illegal reroutes if it means retaining the original trail system and its availability. It's bad enough we only have between June 15th to October to venture ALLOT of these trails.... and now they want to do this.

I've ran trails that the forest service have "relocated" and I don't care how you cut it up, its not the same.

Edited by RTH, 26 March 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#18 homey

homey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Locationwoodinville Wa

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:52 AM

I liked the picture of the "erosion ruts caused by 4x4s"..... unless they put a canopy over our state there always be erosion...it does rain here. I'm guessing the reroute will be pretty limp...

#19 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

View Posthomey, on 27 March 2016 - 07:52 AM, said:

I liked the picture of the "erosion ruts caused by 4x4s"..... unless they put a canopy over our state there always be erosion...it does rain here. I'm guessing the reroute will be pretty limp...

Armageddon is upon us! Mass flooding and Salmon Annihilation is near! I hear the Doomsday Clock ticking away!

Attached File  Ruts Pic edit.jpg   199.42K   13 downloads

#20 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:14 AM

I give you guys lots of credit for going to these. I don't think I could even sit in one of those meetings with a straight face.

#21 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:42 PM

View PostSHREK, on 28 March 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

I give you guys lots of credit for going to these. I don't think I could even sit in one of those meetings with a straight face.

In the interest of full disclosure......we all met a couple hours before at The Porch for breakfast drinks. That, combined with the fact that I like Liberty and ol' ghost towns, made this one pretty easy to attend. :beer:

#22 homey

homey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Locationwoodinville Wa

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:14 PM

The trail reroute could be cool if someone like the swamp stompers built it.....

#23 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:46 PM

Shane next time I see you I am going to give you some money for drinks for you and the guy's.

#24 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:33 AM

View PostSHREK, on 28 March 2016 - 06:46 PM, said:

Shane next time I see you I am going to give you some money for drinks for you and the guy's.

Next time you see me, you can buy drinks in person, right before we go wheelin'!

#25 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:11 AM

View PostPhantom 309, on 29 March 2016 - 06:33 AM, said:

Next time you see me, you can buy drinks in person, right before we go wheelin'!
Packwood Sat.