#1 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:36 AM

I was just cruisin' Pirate and noticed how all the new products relate to tons, and big horsepower, big everything actually, $$$$$$$$$$$. I flashed back to the 80's when few if any of us had lockers, we ran 32's or 33's, V6's and maybe V8's even a few 4cyls, the cools guys had winches, we would wheel all day well actually all year and typically not break anything, drove to everywhere we wheeled and back. Always had a great time. Maybe I need to build a CJ and just enjoy it. Maybe it'll start an old school wheeler trend.................Remember you heard it here first in the PNW since this is the real root of offroading.

#2 Landabuser

Landabuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley WA

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:14 AM

I often agree. Some have heard me comment, we all need to get an old stock flatfender with military tires and wheel Rimrock. Then and only then we will find out how good we really are?

#3 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:05 PM

I have been lucky enough to have grown up on a farm with a stock CJ2A  that I drove a lot. I was always impressed on where it would go. I would tell my friends it had to go up the hill it didn't have the power to spin the tires. Good times.

#4 Simple'72CJ

Simple'72CJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationEllensburg, Wa

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:00 AM

Couldn't agree more!  Don't get me wrong, the high $$$ rigs are very cool and more than capable to run pretty much any trail out there, but I like street legal.  For me the early to mid 90's are the money years and kinda what I based my jeep off.  My uncle and I always joke about the "blueprint" trail jeep back in the day, 44's f/r, sbc/v6, spring over, 4 spd, 33x12.50 tsl's, etc.  Nothing better than seeing old iron hold their own

#5 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

I was thinking the same thing as specs go, I think I remember the purchased "lift" was like a 2-1/2" or 3" Rancho, 5 leaves not 3, and longer shackles. Most of the guys I knew ran 11-15 TrueTracs or the new 33-12.50 x 15 BFG radials. Just trying to think how I'm going to explain a build like this to the wife with two other wheelers sitting in the driveway. Sell something???? Well maybe???

#6 Simple'72CJ

Simple'72CJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationEllensburg, Wa

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:27 AM

Yep, simple and functional.  Just enough lift to clear 33's with minor trimming on rear fenderwell

#7 woodsrat

woodsrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationLakeTapps, WA

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:10 PM

Hard to beat old school, no joints to wear out, links to bend or break. Not going to go 90 through the trails but that's not the point.
A buddy ran a stock ff for years, no lift, 30 or 31 good all terrain tires, open both ends, only thing it had was a buick v6 and 4spd top loader. Damn thing went everywhere we did and I don't remember hookin line to him very often. It's fun to watch people in disbelief when they see it come putting up something their big tired locked up rig couldn't make.

#8 RTH

RTH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationCleElum

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:38 AM

pacific northwest wheeling is best experienced on open diffs and 33s. Those were my favorite memories. I've thought quite a bit of going back myself.

99% of the trails around here are tailored for it. I can honestly say I'm that guy that feels goofy when a smaller tired rig is doing nearly everything im doing..... and then drives home afterwards.....

in the same light having worry free axles, big tires and trailers make it the whole experience a little more enjoyable. Depends on how you look at it I guess.

#9 Simple'72CJ

Simple'72CJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationEllensburg, Wa

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

Flipping through some old albums at the grandparents place had me remember this thread! Not super old, but before I was in the game haha I believe most of these were taken late 80's to mid 90's, but Oldskoolwheeler should be able to verify that.  A little Eastside action, Rubicon, Trail Jamboree, early Evans Creek, and maybe early Elbe?  Anyways, here's a few pics that kinda throw it back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Simple'72CJ

Simple'72CJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationEllensburg, Wa

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Jay W

Jay W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:10 PM

Love the red high hood! I think it was in the old warn ads.

#12 Simple'72CJ

Simple'72CJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationEllensburg, Wa

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:52 PM

View PostJay W, on 26 November 2016 - 09:10 PM, said:

I believe you are correct Jay.  If memory serves me right I think he was a Warn rep at one of the Trail Jams, definitely a sweet rig.

#13 oldskoolwheeler

oldskoolwheeler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLower Elevation Paradise of Western Washington

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:36 PM

That red high hood was Tom Telford's if I remember right from the Jolly Jeepers. That pic was either the 1st or 2nd annual jeep jamboree around 92 or 93.

#14 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:40 AM

View PostJay W, on 26 November 2016 - 09:10 PM, said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

#15 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for sharing.
So what ever happened to the long windbreaker club jacket trend? Do any of them still do that? It was cool that everyone would wear their jackets to functions and you could look around and see all the clubs represented. PNW events always had participation patches and the "old" guys had their coats covered with event patches. Seems everything has gone to black hoodies. Yep, the good ole days.

#16 Jay W

Jay W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:46 AM

Um, out of style. If I was in a club I would be voting against a red windbreaker as club jacket. You only see the OJFs wearing them.

#17 Mumblewood

Mumblewood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationRenton Wa

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:57 AM

I remember In the club I grew up in it was supposed to be a green windbreaker, sometime during the 80's it got changed to whatever ya want I think. I remember seeing most the patches on Levi's jeans jackets