#1 Not a jeep

Not a jeep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTri cities

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:39 PM

Getting ready to build a new buggy.   4 banger power.   Building mostly for snow wheeling.    
Would like to here some thoughts on rear engine vs front engine!       Undecided witch way to go!

#2 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

I've always liked mid engine buggies. That being said, if I had to do it again, I would do a front engine most likely. Only because of all the custom housing and axle shaft work I needed to do being the result of the engine being in the back. Not sure what you have in mind though.

#3 Tryan100

Tryan100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:22 AM

For a snow wheeler I would do front for sure.

#4 Not a jeep

Not a jeep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTri cities

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:39 AM

What is the reason why front engine would be better. Besides having some mechanical problems to overcome from putting it in the rear. Is there a traction advantage to be gained either way?

#5 Tryan100

Tryan100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:52 AM

I think there is advantages if you are rock crawling to do mid engine.  But in the snow I don't think it matters much and wouldn't be worth the work. That's just my opinion.

#6 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

Single seat?

#7 ChevyJoe

ChevyJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:09 PM

View PostTryan100, on 13 June 2016 - 09:52 AM, said:

I think there is advantages if you are rock crawling to do mid engine.  But in the snow I don't think it matters much and wouldn't be worth the work. That's just my opinion.

I agree or worth the work for the little advantage; the only advantage I see is the front tires not "plowing" the snow as much due to all the weight being in the back. Though I don't know if this is an advantage cause they won't pack as good of a path for the rear tires....

#8 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

Money, time and practicality aside, I'd do a mid engine, single seat setup with as close to an even balance as possible (with any extra weight going towards the rear) That's for a low power, deep geared rig.

For a high powered snow wheeler...I'd do front engine  without a doubt. But that's just because I want more steel between my body and the tree when I plow into it at speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 Not a jeep

Not a jeep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTri cities

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:47 PM

It will be a 2 seater!  
Fighting that 2-3 foot wall in the front of the tires is what I have been thinking about!   If the front didint have to try and climb up over that wall of snow all the time maybe that would make a differance worth the extra effort.     Weight is probably the most important  second to the cup holder.

#10 ChevyJoe

ChevyJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

View PostNot a jeep, on 13 June 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

It will be a 2 seater!  
Fighting that 2-3 foot wall in the front of the tires is what I have been thinking about!   If the front didint have to try and climb up over that wall of snow all the time maybe that would make a differance worth the extra effort.     Weight is probably the most important  second to the cup holder.

I've been in snow where the front tires stay on top and the rear break through into the sugar... it was literally the most frustrating day ever. I am almost 50/50 weight distribution too

#11 Not a jeep

Not a jeep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTri cities

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:23 PM

Coin flip time?

#12 POR

POR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • LocationYour moms

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:44 PM

Oops

Edited by POR, 13 June 2016 - 08:46 PM.

#13 POR

POR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • LocationYour moms

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:45 PM

So your building a buggy and it's more work to build one rear engine mounted over front engine.. I don't understand why??

#14 Not a jeep

Not a jeep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTri cities

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:04 AM

You are right, Mounting the engine front or rear is no problem.    Making shift linkage that works backwards would be the most challenging .   Using drivers side drop steer axles front and rear would help with clearance problems.  A divorced 205 sitting backwards works fine with basic mods so it will still have rear 2 wheel drive.   bonus is all the extra leg room .

#15 POR

POR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • LocationYour moms

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:40 PM

View PostNot a jeep, on 14 June 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:

You are right, Mounting the engine front or rear is no problem.    Making shift linkage that works backwards would be the most challenging .   Using drivers side drop steer axles front and rear would help with clearance problems.  A divorced 205 sitting backwards works fine with basic mods so it will still have rear 2 wheel drive.   bonus is all the extra leg room .

What about a divorced zuk case?

#16 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

A few of the guy's I run with are rear weight bias. I have not seen a advantage.

#17 Not a jeep

Not a jeep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTri cities

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.   I'm going to give the rear engine a try with this one!  Really like the hummer buggy look.

#18 Not a jeep

Not a jeep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTri cities

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:57 PM

View PostSHREK, on 14 June 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

A few of the guy's I run with are rear weight bias. I have not seen a advantage.

How weight bias would you say they have tried?  I'm thinking a center balance with the ability to change the bias with some movable parts. Tools, forklift tanks, spare parts boxes, spare tire location.   Maybe the winch mount   Front to back for real testing in actual conditions.
Also. How did you decide what length for you 4 link bars?    Is there a limit to how long is to long?

Edited by Not a jeep, 19 June 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#19 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:18 AM

View PostNot a jeep, on 19 June 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

How weight bias would you say they have tried?  I'm thinking a center balance with the ability to change the bias with some movable parts. Tools, forklift tanks, spare parts boxes, spare tire location.   Maybe the winch mount   Front to back for real testing in actual conditions.
Also. How did you decide what length for you 4 link bars?    Is there a limit to how long is to long?
55% +-rear bias. The longer they are the stronger they have to be is the only drawback I see. I think I'm around 3 feet or so on the bars can't remember exactly

#20 Not a jeep

Not a jeep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTri cities

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:35 PM

2?   How do you post pics on here again?   Made some progress on the new buggy. Thought I would share a few pics if I can figure out how too!  
Also. Any one ever thank of making mechanical internal beadlocks?  How would you build them.  Any ideas???

#21 Tryan100

Tryan100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:32 AM

I use photobucket to post pics

#22 Not a jeep

Not a jeep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTri cities

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:57 PM

Test. Posted Image

#23 Tryan100

Tryan100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:47 PM

Looks like it's working. Nice progress!

#24 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

You can also load them directly from your computer. Just click "MORE REPLY OPTIONS" in the lower right of the reply box. Then click "CHOOSE FILES" in the lower left of the next screen.

#25 Not a jeep

Not a jeep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTri cities

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

Photo bucket won't load anything.   I have had nothing but problems with them in the past !     I tried the attach files on this site and it will not load anything .   I guess everyone will just need to use there imagination !