#1 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

So just to be clear, this SE WA is east of the Columbia River and south of the Snake River in the Umatilla National Forest.
Well the USFS District Ranger returned my call today, Monte, a very pleasant gentleman. We spoke for quite a bit and he was open and positive to the idea of creating a 4x4 trail in my "backyard". He told me of a couple of changes for the good coming in the future and said he would be glad to go on a scouting trip with me if I had a route in mind. That was simple and so much more than what I have ever gotten before from their office in Pomeroy, also my nephew and his son went to school together, he mentioned that.  He explained nothing happens fast and I acknowledge that and told him I'm a patient whiner. (Well not really anything about being a whiner.)  I am glad I made the call.
Also if none of you are familiar with our Iron Springs Winter Recreation Area, here's the lowdown, there is probably a couple thousand acres that with 12" of snow cover you can travel cross country within the boundary's. Most of the locals just drive up the roads.

#2 dirk

dirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Locationwashington

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:33 AM

Are you following the travel management plan down in the Wallowa-Whitman NF?  Here is a 63 minute audio recording of a July 13th meeting...they also have the transcript linked.  If you have time, I'd like to hear your thoughts on what they are saying.

http://www.fs.usda.g...id=fseprd508546

#3 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:24 AM

I'd be happy to share the details of the phone conversation and answer any questions if anyone would like to give me a call. 509-552-9439

#4 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:31 AM

View Postdirk, on 21 August 2016 - 07:33 AM, said:

Are you following the travel management plan down in the Wallowa-Whitman NF?  Here is a 63 minute audio recording of a July 13th meeting...they also have the transcript linked.  If you have time, I'd like to hear your thoughts on what they are saying.

http://www.fs.usda.g...id=fseprd508546
I read through the transcripts and listened to some of it. It's unique that the attitude of the local USFS has more to do with closures and/or expansions that what the higher up officials think. This means as with any organization the "right" people at a local level makes all the difference, buy them a cup of coffee and a piece of pie.

#5 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:33 PM

I finished listening to it last night. Learned a little, informed of a lot.

#6 RTH

RTH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationCleElum

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:32 PM

This is all good to hear. Always wondered why allot of the southeast never had much for trail systems and kind of always assumed it was an involvement thing.

Any updates?

#7 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostRTH, on 10 October 2016 - 04:32 PM, said:

This is all good to hear. Always wondered why allot of the southeast never had much for trail systems and kind of always assumed it was an involvement thing.

Any updates?

Yep, I've been around organized 4wheelin since the early 80's, we've never got help with anything over here since we're to far from Puget Sound. I as even region Director one year.  And I dont think it will ever change. Everyone just expects us to drive 5-6 hrs to wheel but they wouldn't think of doing that. Yes I'm bitter.
Not really anything new, been eyeing maps and trying to form a plan to lay out trails without making trails but finding good places for trails.

#8 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

I would bet most of the trails out there where put in without permission. Once they get burned in they just kind of get adopted. The Blues has lots of potential. Sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness.

#9 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:16 PM

View PostSHREK, on 11 October 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

I would bet most of the trails out there where put in without permission. Once they get burned in they just kind of get adopted. The Blues has lots of potential. Sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness.
That's why this winter I can get started using the 12" of snow cover driver where ever I want rule. It will give me a good start then try to connect a few sections from there.

#10 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

I have wanted to run the snow over there for a while now.

Keep the entrance and exit hidden and hammer down!

#11 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:11 PM

View PostSHREK, on 12 October 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

I have wanted to run the snow over there for a while now.

Keep the entrance and exit hidden and hammer down!

Probably should plan a RADesigns Products sponsored "Introduction to the Blues Run" this year shouldn't I?

#12 Landabuser

Landabuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley WA

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:01 PM

The Snohomish Transmission guys try to go down there once a year with Janz to snowheel.

#13 ChevyJoe

ChevyJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:04 PM

I can't wait to go snow wheel the blues this year

#14 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:45 AM

View PostLandabuser, on 12 October 2016 - 08:01 PM, said:

The Snohomish Transmission guys try to go down there once a year with Janz to snowheel.

It (the Blues) covers a lot of area, there is always a big run the first of April at Tollgate in OR, and the Dayton guys go up on the west side for some great snow, but there are some serious canyons that separate it all with no roads through. There are road closures from Dec. 1 through March 31. So April 1 is a great time to try to cover some serious ground.

#15 Landabuser

Landabuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley WA

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:50 AM

Doesn't the road opening corispond with when the snowmobile grooming ends?

#16 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:22 AM

View PostLandabuser, on 13 October 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

Doesn't the road opening corispond with when the snowmobile grooming ends?

Yes, it follows the time frame when trails are kept groomed, even if there is no snow the closure still is enforced.

#17 SHREK

SHREK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationChehalis

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:45 PM

Skyline over to Griffen peak and out Robinette would be a fun run. Or back to Chase and down below Blue Wood.

#18 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:31 AM

We go from Clarkston through Peola then into the Blues, in the spring we'll go to Misery then on to Anatone and then the highway 34mi back to Clarkston, its an easy drive. All total around 100mi. Last time we did it we left at 9:00am and were back before 4:00pm. We should have stopped and played more though as there were some really cool drifts that would have been fun to crawl on.