#1 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

Spent he day snow wheelin, my IROKs couldn't get out of their own way. 3 guys with MTRs were just going everywhere. I was getting stuck in their tracks. Worst day ever in the now.

Edited by R.DesJardin, 04 February 2017 - 06:22 PM.

#2 Floorit

Floorit

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,562 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:38 PM

Radials or bias?

Old mtrs or new

#3 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:54 PM

36-13.50x15 bias, The guys I was with had 38", 37" and 35" MTRs and the guy with 35's was open in the front and was getting around better.

#4 Jay W

Jay W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:19 PM

All depends on the snow. How much air were you running? Old school MTRs or new Kevlars?

#5 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

View PostJay W, on 04 February 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

All depends on the snow. How much air were you running? Old school MTRs or new Kevlars?

I played with air 1-5#, new Kevlars.

#6 ChevyJoe

ChevyJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:20 AM

The snow conditions right now are very challenging. My OG mtr's worked best yesterday right when they were about to wrinkle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostChevyJoe, on 05 February 2017 - 07:20 AM, said:

The snow conditions right now are very challenging. My OG mtr's worked best yesterday right when they were about to wrinkle

I tried different pressures, blew two beads off running too low a pressure and I've never done that before. I saw a big advantage of the 17" rim too. The guy with the 37" MT/R's was running ~6# and a nice bulge, no beadlocks and 8" wide, there seemed to be less chance for the tire rolling under the rim with the 17's and coming off as with my 15's. Worst thing was following I was getting stuck in their tracks.

#8 ChevyJoe

ChevyJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

View PostR.DesJardin, on 05 February 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

I tried different pressures, blew two beads off running too low a pressure and I've never done that before. I saw a big advantage of the 17" rim too. The guy with the 37" MT/R's was running ~6# and a nice bulge, no beadlocks and 8" wide, there seemed to be less chance for the tire rolling under the rim with the 17's and coming off as with my 15's. Worst thing was following I was getting stuck in their tracks.

??? Do you have beadlocks? If so, put a couple wraps of duct tape around the inner head then reseat the tire. You won't lose any more inner beads. There is no advantage to running a 17" wheel in the snow, the more sidewall the better

#9 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

View PostChevyJoe, on 05 February 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

??? Do you have beadlocks? If so, put a couple wraps of duct tape around the inner head then reseat the tire. You won't lose any more inner beads. There is no advantage to running a 17" wheel in the snow, the more sidewall the better
Yes that will help but here is my point, I was with three guys on MT/Rs, two of them Tacoma's, they had 35's and 37's, no beadlocks, low tire  psi and no issues, they guy on 35's didn't even have a front locker and was pulling me out. I couldn't even run in the tracks of the guy with 37's without getting stuck. The other guy had 38's on beadlocks and could idle just about anywhere he wanted. Nothing worked with the IROK's, all I did was hang onto the CB mike so I could say "I'm stuck".  I still believe a 17" rim is better, you can't change my mind and I won't let you. If you try I'll just go to my "Not my wheel choice" room and poute.  :laughing:

#10 Floorit

Floorit

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,562 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

Sometimes the problems not the tires.  Check behind the steering wheel... :unsure:

#11 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

View PostFloorit, on 05 February 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

Sometimes the problems not the tires.  Check behind the steering wheel... :unsure:

Oh there is a problem, trust me on the drive home I was considering how much to sell the truck for since I must not be able to drive any more. But I've been wheelin since 1982, and I've never had so much trouble getting around when everyone else was doing fine.

#12 Jay W

Jay W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:47 PM

I've been on those trips. 39.5 iroks. Next time the tables are turned and I'm happy again. To many variables to blame the tires.

#13 Floorit

Floorit

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,562 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

Don't underestimate the confidence factor. If you think your tires are inferior then they are going to be inferior.

#14 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:04 AM

View PostFloorit, on 05 February 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

Don't underestimate the confidence factor. If you think your tires are inferior then they are going to be inferior.

I have always been pleased with how the IROKs perform, some friends have even bought them because of how well they saw my rig did. Remember we all have smaller tires and are not as serious as some of the Yakima guys are with their setups. No buggies, or even truggies around here, very few built up swapped motor rigs, like only 1 or 2.

#15 Jay W

Jay W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:12 PM

Mines just a regular jeep. Only 2 buggys here that I can think of that go out regularly.

#16 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostJay W, on 06 February 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

Mines just a regular jeep. Only 2 buggys here that I can think of that go out regularly.

I don't think I've seen a regular Jeep in any of the builds or pics. Maybe those guys don't snow wheel? I'm talking street driven locked front and rear on 35's-37's guys is our crowd. Cherokees and Tacomas and a few Wranglers of various years. Most don't run beadlocks. Maybe I just think we are behind in our setups????????

#17 Jay W

Jay W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:46 PM

Yep, all buggys then. We choose to not run gutless 4cylinders and all have bealocks. Well, one has a high strung 4cyl. With 37s on beadlocks and outruns me most of the time. 👍

#18 JewGoat

JewGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationWa

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:41 PM

View PostR.DesJardin, on 06 February 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

I don't think I've seen a regular Jeep in any of the builds or pics. Maybe those guys don't snow wheel? I'm talking street driven locked front and rear on 35's-37's guys is our crowd. Cherokees and Tacomas and a few Wranglers of various years. Most don't run beadlocks. Maybe I just think we are behind in our setups????????
I run 32s.  

#19 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:30 AM

View PostJay W, on 06 February 2017 - 08:46 PM, said:

Yep, all buggys then. We choose to not run gutless 4cylinders and all have bealocks. Well, one has a high strung 4cyl. With 37s on beadlocks and outruns me most of the time.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass at all. I just didn't think we have as good of setup of 4x4's around here as a rule. I certainly wish my 4cyl had more power, I usually get it to work out, but that's why I'm building a V8 Jeep.

#20 Buc4x

Buc4x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

personally I think the irok is superior to the new style mtr in the PNW. I like 37's on a 15" wheel.

#21 ChevyJoe

ChevyJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

View PostBuc4x, on 07 February 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

personally I think the irok is superior to the new style mtr in the PNW. I like 37's on a 15" wheel.

Just like everybody else, I wish more tire company's made 37" tires in 15" wheels

#22 ChevyJoe

ChevyJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:30 PM

View PostR.DesJardin, on 06 February 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

I don't care how "setup" a rig is, I wouldn't take anything snow wheelin that didn't have beadlocks. It was fun in high school, but now that I've driven more capable vehicles I can't imagine snow wheeling without beadlocks

#23 R.DesJardin

R.DesJardin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationClarkston,WA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

View PostChevyJoe, on 07 February 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

I don't care how "setup" a rig is, I wouldn't take anything snow wheelin that didn't have beadlocks. It was fun in high school, but now that I've driven more capable vehicles I can't imagine snow wheeling without beadlocks

Yep, my point exactly. We're just a bunch of old school hillbillies, mostly from Idaho. The thing is if everyone is setup the same then its not as big of a deal. When I was just starting out snow wheelin' nobody ran lockers and 33's were big. We all had fun.

#24 Jay W

Jay W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

Let us know when the iroks are for sale then.

#25 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:34 PM

How old are the Iroks? I hated mine at first. It took a couple of outings and a groover to get them to wrinkle right. After that I liked them as much as any set of Purple Unicorns that I've ever had. I've never had Kevlars, but I've never had anyone show me a reason to want them either.