62 replies to this topic

#1 Floorit

Floorit

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,562 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Normal dash cam style GoPro videos usually bore me at about 15 seconds in.  I find myself fast forwarding through the video trying to find the cool part and 99% of the time I don't find anything.  I've been trying to figure out how and where to mount a GoPro to get a better angle on the shot to make it more interesting.  Anybody come up or seen anything cool out there?

Saw this swivel boom on an RC car on pirate.  This is cool, but trying to figure out how practical it would be on a 4x4.  

http://www.pirate4x4...d.php?t=1090373

#2 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostFloorit, on 10 September 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

Normal dash cam style GoPro videos usually bore me at about 15 seconds in.  I find myself fast forwarding through the video trying to find the cool part

I agree. Try mounting it to a good editing program.

#3 Floorit

Floorit

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,562 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

Editing is a huge factor, but its more than that.  The typical dash cam view of 50% hood, 30% sky and 20% terrain just is not interesting.

#4 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Under the front bumper looking forward?

On the rear of the rig looking back at the person slamming into you?

A remote control mount like they use in Nascar? They rotate 180-360 degrees depending on where they are mounted.

Inside the beer cooler?

#5 Streaker

Streaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Locationup your tail pipe

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

so you can see who is drinking all your beer  like shane :thumbsup:

#6 NateW

NateW

Subawooo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

I'm gonna try about 8 different spots around the truck with a magnet and ball joint for a tripod for the GoPro. Also going to stick it under the rear bumper to see if we need a traction bar or not. I wanna try something under the center of the rig facing forward to view the front axle and some terrain. Only worry about that is either, it falling off, or getting smashed on a rock.

That swivel boom thing might not be too bad... If it's not too stiff and not too loose it would probably just bounce off the trees and stuff. I'd like to be able to keep it in one section though, like, the triangle it would travel either in front of the windshield or behind the cab. You could put stoppers on the swivel so it doesn't swivel past that... Brainstorming is needed.

Edited by NateW, 10 September 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#7 Jay W

Jay W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostPhantom 309, on 10 September 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

A remote control mount like they use in Nascar? They rotate 180-360 degrees depending on where they are mounted.
They actually have that for them.

#8 Bryan

Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAuburn, WA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

I want to get the roll bar mount and mount it between the driver and passenger so the video shows what they are doing, how much the driver is working, how scared the passenger might be......LMAO!

#9 homeboy

homeboy

Daddy D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

I like mounting my gopro on the inside of my roof so you can see what I'm driving over and see the steering wheel and me using my shifters.

example ( mute sound if you dont like the music ): and

#10 dirtster

dirtster

Dirtster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationBuhl, ID

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

I think a little of the gopro stuff is interesting but it has to be just a small part to keep my attention. Editing is the key. Just like good writing includes good editing, so do good videos (so I'm finding out). Still, there needs to be lots of footage from which to choose, even if a small portion of it is used.

#11 JeepinJunk

JeepinJunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationAhtanum Valley

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Todd & I did the, hold the camera at arms length trick, last spring. I think it made for some decent footage, but the drawbacks are obvious, especially when you're trying to drive. It looked like someone had the camera mounted on a pole or stick in one of the videos that Trail Beast posted. What ya know about that Beast? I was thinking about making something- maybe a telescoping pole with a swivel and a weight on the bottom, so it would be self-leveling. On our run in Dec., I put a mount on the front bar of my Jeep. Defiantly better than inside! I think it would be even better, down lower, but how can you do that in the snow?

PS- Floorit, notice how I'm passing everything in sight with my little RADIAL tires.

Edited by JeepinJunk, 05 January 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#12 dirtster

dirtster

Dirtster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationBuhl, ID

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Yeah, the example vids are good for me to see. Again, I like the view from the vehicle itself, but a whole vid of that is too much (IMHO). There needs to be multiple views to make it interesting. Crawling the rock from the driver's view is good to see, but then it is good to have the bigger picture. Now, how you have all that and still keep moving and keeping up with the group is an issue I have yet to work out.

#13 kfinney

kfinney

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationThe Burg

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

View Postdirtster, on 05 January 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Now, how you have all that and still keep moving and keeping up with the group is an issue I have yet to work out.

Easy fix.....get a reliable passenger who has good balance and steady hands :cheers

#14 Trail Beast

Trail Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationMarysville

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostJeepinJunk, on 05 January 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

it made for some decent footage, but the drawbacks are obvious, especially when you're trying to drive. It looked like someone had the camera mounted on a pole or stick in one of the videos that Trail Beast posted. What ya know about that Beast?
I think we need to go jeepin, & you can show that 1 arm action, you were talking about.
I'm working on it. I think GoPro's are over rated. I bought a Olympus Stylus Tough 12mpx for $150 a few years back.   It's freeze proof, impact proof, & good for 10' under water. They're getting older now. The batteries were $32 ea. Now, I found an Office Depot clearing out stock for $8 ea. I bought 12, & since bought 2 more 14 mpx cameras.
Now, I have 3, that I can hand out, or mount somewhere.
I've wasted money on a bunch of attachments, but ultimately, I'm going to build it into my new cage, & make my own brackets.
I shopped around on the GoPro, before I made the decision to buy the other 2, but I think getting good footage, you have to hit it from all the angles.
I drive & film, but try to stablize on the cage, or something so the motion is the jeep as drivers view, & hind shots.
I try to take snip it's of the entire trip, & put the whole trip in under 5 minutes, trying to fit all the good action. I try to hold mine stable, next to the top of the outside of the windshield. There's more terrain, & I try to edit, where there just enough hood or tire, to make the movie show off the trail.
If youtube "stabilizes" it can have an annoying frame, & bouncy text. All things to consider when shooting.
It's definitely a learning curve. But I think custom mounts are the ticket for my set up.

Edited by Trail Beast, 05 January 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#15 Trail Beast

Trail Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationMarysville

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

One of my jeepin' essentials on the trail. AC inverter in the jeep can recharge anything needed.Posted Image
This thing is kind of cool, but gets loose pretty quick in a bouncing jeep.
Posted Image
This mount is good for staging a camera for drive bys.
Posted Image

Edited by Trail Beast, 05 January 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#16 homeboy

homeboy

Daddy D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

I've got one of those gorilla tripods as well, have yet to use it wheelin though.

#17 NateW

NateW

Subawooo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I got a few more batteries for Christmas. So I'm gonna try and have mine running most of the day, try and capture everything I can. I've been wanting to try an angle like on the side of the cab facing forward, maybe on the top of the cab in different directions. I'm just afraid of it being ripped off by a tree limb.

Oh, I've noticed that in all of my videos, most of the sound I'm getting is the case of the camera shaking and creaking. No matter what, there's always that sound. Maybe I need to try the open back when its inside the truck...

Any solutions to the noise that I could try?

#18 JewGoat

JewGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationWa

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Trail Beast, your mount looks like your anal beads you retired for larger ones and didn't want to get rid of them.

#19 homeboy

homeboy

Daddy D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostNateW, on 05 January 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

I got a few more batteries for Christmas. So I'm gonna try and have mine running most of the day, try and capture everything I can. I've been wanting to try an angle like on the side of the cab facing forward, maybe on the top of the cab in different directions. I'm just afraid of it being ripped off by a tree limb.

Oh, I've noticed that in all of my videos, most of the sound I'm getting is the case of the camera shaking and creaking. No matter what, there's always that sound. Maybe I need to try the open back when its inside the truck...

Any solutions to the noise that I could try?
when using the mounts tighten them extremely well and take a strip of eletrical tape to the inside slide in black lockin clips any movement in the mounting system makes the rattle noises. I had the same problems and the tape along with taking a screw driver to my gopro mounts shutup almost all the rattles and noises from the case away.

like this: Posted Image

most new gopros hero2 or hero3 come with that little rubberized clip as well, it was designed to solve the noise issue as well

Edited by homeboy, 05 January 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#20 JeepinJunk

JeepinJunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationAhtanum Valley

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

That noise is very annoying! The vids I made last year had so many weird noises, I just deleted the audio. The open back might fix a lot of it. To keep from going through so many batteries, I did a little whittling on the open back, so I can plug in the cable while it's in the case. I don't know why they don't make it that way!

Attached File  IMG_7160.jpg   135.08K   3 downloads

#21 homeboy

homeboy

Daddy D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostJeepinJunk, on 05 January 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

That noise is very annoying! The vids I made last year had so many weird noises, I just deleted the audio. The open back might fix a lot of it. To keep from going through so many batteries, I did a little whittling on the open back, so I can plug in the cable while it's in the case. I don't know why they don't make it that way!

Attachment IMG_7160.jpg

the new hero3 has this ability with the specific case they sell, I also had this is mind. I have a cig lighter power socket in the corner of my buggy dash and can use the socket to use a usb charger adapter in it and you never run outta juice and I can recharge my gopro during night wheeling if i choose to inside one of my buggy bags on the passanger door bar. or I just leave it back at camp on an inverter. for the next long trip to moabs or where ever i'm going gonna take my work laptop with me so can unload all the vids so I can make a trip movie from my and any other peeoples footage.

depending on the weather deffinitely run the open back case so gopros mic can pick up sound better, a lot of people with hero2's run external aftermarket mics to imporve sound quality. I couldn't justify buying on for what I do with my gopro. They claim the mic in the hero3 is a lot better, curious if that is true. I'd want the hero3 black for the videos quality and there new ability to use micro sd cards up to 64gb in size. you run outta room fast in 1080p mode with only 32 gb card size.

Edited by homeboy, 05 January 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#22 JeepinJunk

JeepinJunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationAhtanum Valley

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Ya I don't shoot 1080p HD for that reason, I shoot mine on 960p, seems to be good and doesn't burn up my card so fast.

#23 Trail Beast

Trail Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationMarysville

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostJewGoat, on 05 January 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

Trail Beast, your mount looks like your anal beads you retired for larger ones and didn't want to get rid of them.
YOU'RE A PUNK, & you look like somebodies bitch.

#24 JewGoat

JewGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationWa

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostTrail Beast, on 06 January 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

YOU'RE A PUNK, & you look like somebodies bitch.
I guess this means they aren't your old anal beads.  My bad.

#25 Floorit

Floorit

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,562 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

As much as I love a good internet argument, lets keep the foreplay out of the photography forum and get back to talking about gopro rigs. :chris: