62 replies to this topic

#26 kfinney

kfinney

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationThe Burg

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

We are trying out a gopro right now.  Had it all set up for the last run but it would have been pretty boring watching the smoke coming off of our hood lol  Can't wait to use it a little more.  This thread is great, gives me some good ideas.  I really like Jeepnjunks handheld gopro angles that he gets.  I'm with dirtster, I can't watch a whole vid of just the dash view....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....but when the angles are switched up it really comes together.

#27 NateW

NateW

Subawooo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

View Postkfinney, on 06 January 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

We are trying out a gopro right now.  Had it all set up for the last run but it would have been pretty boring watching the smoke coming off of our hood lol  Can't wait to use it a little more.  This thread is great, gives me some good ideas.  I really like Jeepnjunks handheld gopro angles that he gets.  I'm with dirtster, I can't watch a whole vid of just the dash view....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....but when the are switched up it really comes together.

Did you guys get the Hero3?

#28 kfinney

kfinney

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationThe Burg

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

No we're trying a hero 2.

#29 fj401ton

fj401ton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Locationcoquitlam, british columbia canada

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

new to the gopro stuff (hero 2) and wondeing if filming in 1080 versus say 720 has any affect on battery life. id like to try and film something for a long period of time and wonder about battery longevity.
i do have the piggy back battery pack as well. i have a 32g class 10 card and would like to fit as much video on it as possible,, say somewhere around 4.5 hours

#30 homeboy

homeboy

Daddy D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

View Postfj401ton, on 06 January 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

new to the gopro stuff (hero 2) and wondeing if filming in 1080 versus say 720 has any affect on battery life. id like to try and film something for a long period of time and wonder about battery longevity.
i do have the piggy back battery pack as well. i have a 32g class 10 card and would like to fit as much video on it as possible,, say somewhere around 4.5 hours

from gopros website on specs of the hero 2:

Storage
  • MEMORY:
    • SDHC: Up to 32GB (Class 4 or Higher)
  • AVERAGE RECORDING TIME WITH 32GB SD CARD:
    • 1080p30: 4 hours
    • 960p30: 6 hours
    • 720p60: 4 hours
    • 720p30: 6 hours
    • WVGA 120: 4.5 hours
setting at 720p 30fps or 960p 30fps you get a few more hours of storage but you will need the battery pack to reach that 6 hour mark and 4 hour mark for 1080p mode. I did battery testing on mine and found they all came short of the times listed by an hour or so even with a battery pack. but that was with gopros latest updates and turning on the cameras protune setting which eats more mem. card storage and battery power.

you will get probably 3-4 hours of recording time with wil's regular hero I figure with no battery pack.

Edited by homeboy, 06 January 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#31 Trail Beast

Trail Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationMarysville

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

View Posthomeboy, on 05 January 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

pretty wicked looking trails! :D

Edited by Trail Beast, 06 January 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#32 Trail Beast

Trail Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationMarysville

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

I've got a couple of magnetic grounding clamps, & this magnetic base, I plan on making into a mount for quick connect set up.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Trail Beast, 06 January 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#33 JeepinJunk

JeepinJunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationAhtanum Valley

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Check out the Target flyer in today's paper. Hero 3 for $200! Good prices on other action cams also. Targets website has the Contour Roam for $100. This would make a great 2nd camera. The only bad thing is you can't switch out batteries.  http://www.target.com/p/contour-roam-flash-memory-adventure-digital-camcorder-black/-/A-13923490#prodSlot=medium_1_1

#34 dirtster

dirtster

Dirtster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationBuhl, ID

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

As a total novice, I'm taking all this in and slicing it thin. I hope, as you share your vids, you will give some of the background technical date, what seems to work and what doesn't. I can see that part of the fun of the 4X4ing is the photo/video possibilities  and then being able to share the experiences with others (and with each other on this forum ... one of the many aspects I love about the forum).

I think Kfinney has a good point about having a partner along to share the camera chores. That gives the rider a key role and not just a tag-a-long.

I remember from my dirtbiking days of how annoying it can be when a photofanatic was always trying to set up an angle or a clever shot. (of course, we usually enjoyed the finish product after the event is over and we can relive it through the photog effort).

#35 dirtster

dirtster

Dirtster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationBuhl, ID

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'm planning to set up an inverter so I can charge batteries on the fly. This will be especially important for multi-day trips like the Rubican Trail.

#36 JewGoat

JewGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationWa

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

The biggest thing with the gopro is knowing how to use it, last trip out I thought I was recording video and it was taking photos.....I guess i was too busy being somebodies bitch then worrying about my gopro.  I'll get my priorities straight.  Sorry Trail Beast.

#37 JeepinJunk

JeepinJunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationAhtanum Valley

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

If you have a cigarette lighter, all you need is one of those little chargers they sell everywhere for 10-15 bucks. Home Depot even has em! Go Pro claims theirs charges faster, but it costs a lot more.

#38 JeepinJunk

JeepinJunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationAhtanum Valley

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

I know what ya mean Jew! the Go Pro is confusing to use- which button do I push? I'm always turning it on, when I think I'm turning it off, etc. I found the solution to most of those issues- go into the tools menu and enable the "one button on". Makes it almost goof proof!

#39 NateW

NateW

Subawooo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I'm gonna start using the "1 button mode". Considering I'm gonna be only taking video with it now. Don't need pictures because they look funny in fisheye

#40 JewGoat

JewGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationWa

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostJeepinJunk, on 06 January 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

I know what ya mean Jew! the Go Pro is confusing to use- which button do I push? I'm always turning it on, when I think I'm turning it off, etc. I found the solution to most of those issues- go into the tools menu and enable the "one button on". Makes it almost goof proof!
It makes it more confusing not being able to see the front from the drivers seat.  I wonder if the LCD backpack will solve this problem?

#41 homeboy

homeboy

Daddy D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

the hero 2 and 3 have led lights recording lights front and back and on the sides. though, with the battery pack it covers the rear one. atleast with the hero 2

the lcd backpack sucks some serious power, so if you run it all the time i'd be inclined to hardwire it into a power source on your rig.

#42 JewGoat

JewGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationWa

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

I dont think I have a hero 2 then, I dont have a led on the back.

#43 NateW

NateW

Subawooo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostJewGoat, on 06 January 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

I dont think I have a hero 2 then, I dont have a led on the back.

If you look on the front of the camera it says HERO or HERO2.

#44 JeepinJunk

JeepinJunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationAhtanum Valley

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

I haven't been very happy with the photos from the Go Pro. Might be better with the LCD touch back, so you could see what you're doing! A lot of the photos came out really bad, I think I had the white balance set wrong, here are some unedited  examples. They seem to have a lot of "noise".

Attached File  GOPR0081.jpg   199.92K   18 downloads  Attached File  GOPR0089.jpg   232.01K   20 downloads

Even after editing, I don't like em.

Attached File  GOPR0081-2.jpg   261.34K   22 downloads  Attached File  GOPR0089-2.jpg   262K   21 downloads

#45 JewGoat

JewGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationWa

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Mine says hero3 :thumbsup:

#46 fj401ton

fj401ton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Locationcoquitlam, british columbia canada

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

View Posthomeboy, on 06 January 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

the hero 2 and 3 have led lights recording lights front and back and on the sides. though, with the battery pack it covers the rear one. atleast with the hero 2

the lcd backpack sucks some serious power, so if you run it all the time i'd be inclined to hardwire it into a power source on your rig.

i have the lcd screen for my h2 and yup it sucks batteries fast :(

#47 Trail Beast

Trail Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationMarysville

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostJewGoat, on 06 January 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

The biggest thing with the gopro is knowing how to use it, last trip out I thought I was recording video and it was taking photos.....I guess i was too busy being somebodies bitch then worrying about my gopro.  I'll get my priorities straight.  Sorry Trail Beast.
Recognition of the problem, is the first step to healing.

#48 Todd T.

Todd T.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Locationoffcamber.com

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostJewGoat, on 06 January 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

Mine says hero3 :thumbsup:

rich kid!

#49 Trail Beast

Trail Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationMarysville

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostJeepinJunk, on 06 January 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

I haven't been very happy with the photos from the Go Pro. Might be better with the LCD touch back, so you could see what you're doing! A lot of the photos came out really bad, I think I had the white balance set wrong, here are some unedited  examples. They seem to have a lot of "noise".
I went to Target today to scope out that deal. $199 is regular price there for the Hero3. Batteries are only $18 ea. Seems like a cool set up for a remote mount. (remotes are another $89)  I might pick one up. BUT, they are only 5 megapixle, so your pictures aren't as good as a 1080p video.

Edited by Trail Beast, 07 January 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#50 JeepinJunk

JeepinJunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationAhtanum Valley

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

After a little research, which I should have done first, :wallbash: I found out there are 3, Go Pro Hero 3s! The one that Target has for $200 is the white edition, 5 mp camera. The good one is the black edition, $400!   http://gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras
I think someone should (not me, unemployed & broke) buy 3 or 4 of those Contour Roams for $100 each, and mount them all over their rig!