#1 Ruger SR5

Ruger SR5

Web wheeler platinum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Locationon jack stands

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

What would be a good camera to start with, but not something over my head as a rookie photographer? I have seen the Nikon cameras with interchangeable lenses at costco, but not sure if the money is wisely spent. The wife and I are expecting our first child and we have been talking about getting a camera.

Edited by RidgelineMotorsports, 15 October 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#2 kfinney

kfinney

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationThe Burg

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Craig....whatever you go with I would definately look into the video quality you're going to get with it. With your kiddo you're going to want still and video. I don't know anything about Nikon cameras but Canons have some good vid. quality. Or you could go the other route and go with a video camera that shoots stills. I have a Panasonic that will take still while you're videoing as well as let you pull stills off of the video when you're playing it back so you'll never miss that shot. The pics are pretty damn good quality for being pulled off of video too.

#3 Ruger SR5

Ruger SR5

Web wheeler platinum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Locationon jack stands

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

There is a whole bunch of cameras out there, do you have any starting point as far as brands and models go?

Edited by RidgelineMotorsports, 15 October 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#4 Ruger SR5

Ruger SR5

Web wheeler platinum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Locationon jack stands

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

I can't say I am going to spend $1000, but I wouldn't be against spending a good amount and getting something nice. I will use it for other things like action shots, wildlife and scenic stuff too.

Edited by RidgelineMotorsports, 15 October 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#5 kfinney

kfinney

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationThe Burg

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

Just IMO.....if you go with a video camera, check out the Panasonic HDC-SD60.  That way you don't have to worry about switching back and forth.  Video everything you want to and pull the pics you want off of there later.  Eazy Peazy Rice and Cheezy

For a still....I would go with a canon DSLR, I've been really happy with my rebel eos and you can find used ones here and there.  I only say canon b/c that's what I know and I love both my rebel and 7D.  

#6 Ruger SR5

Ruger SR5

Web wheeler platinum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Locationon jack stands

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Ok, I will do some looking.

#7 Ruger SR5

Ruger SR5

Web wheeler platinum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Locationon jack stands

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

What about shutter speed?  Something with a fast speed would let me take a lot of shots and weed through them as I go, right? I have several large memory cards, so it would be too bad.

#8 twitch

twitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Locationportland

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

View Postkfinney, on 15 October 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

Just IMO.....if you go with a video camera, check out Panasonic

For a still....I would go with a canon DSLR, I've been really happy with my rebel eos and you can find used ones here and there.  I only say canon b/c that's what I know.

I think Kfinney's photography here and other wise speaks volumes for her knowledge on equipment....I dont think you can go wrong with cannon either!!

#9 kfinney

kfinney

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationThe Burg

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

I added some more detail to the video camera that I would look at if I were you.  I wish I would have had it when my kiddos were little :(

#10 twitch

twitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Locationportland

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

check out this site....has just about every camera you would ever want to look at, detailed information, and a used section.....might be a good start as a research point.

http://www.bhphotovi...22/N/4288586280

#11 BigDog

BigDog

Is It the Weekend Yet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

definitely go with a SLR (that's the kind with the removable lens) because you really can't fix the all in one cam's when they break

#12 JeepinJunk

JeepinJunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationAhtanum Valley

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

See my posts in Entry level DSLR Craig. It all depends on what you want to do, and how much you want to spend. The good Mega zooms can take some good pics, all the way from wide angle (18mm) to super telephoto (840mm!), for about $350. But if your willing to spend about $500, you can get into a entry level DSLR like the Canon T3. Then you have luxury of interchangeable lenses. Instead of needing a new camera in 3 yrs., you can just buy another lens! Digital Cameras are evolving so fast that even an entry level one like the T3 or T3I are better than the $3000-4000 pro cameras of 5 years ago! The entry level Canons (T3, T3I, T2I) have very good video also.  http://www.imaging-r...RODS/T3/T3A.HTM

#13 Borrowed Parts

Borrowed Parts

Moving Butt Like I'm Toilet Tissue

• Trolls
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationSatisfying My Curiosity

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Blah blah blah, expensive camera, blah blah blah

Sorry I just had to :lol:

#14 Ruger SR5

Ruger SR5

Web wheeler platinum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Locationon jack stands

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

I don't get butt hurt over a silly comment, blah away buddy.

#15 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostRidgelineMotorsports, on 16 October 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

Obviously.

#16 Borrowed Parts

Borrowed Parts

• Trolls
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

That's weird.

#17 Ruger SR5

Ruger SR5

Web wheeler platinum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Locationon jack stands

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostPhantom 309, on 16 October 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Obviously.

Nice observation, but maybe you should contribute to the thread with info and ideas rather than meaningless banter. This thread is for information on buying a new camera.

#18 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostRidgelineMotorsports, on 16 October 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

False.

#19 twitch

twitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Locationportland

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

wheres the popcorn smiley guy when you need him? :unsure:

#20 Borrowed Parts

Borrowed Parts

• Trolls
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

I'm starting a camera thread next :lol:

#21 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

Stick with a PS camera. Many of them take as good of pics as entry level DSLR's. Get as many mega pixels as you can in the price range that you're looking to spend. Stay away from motorized lens'. Don't worry much about zoom as you will be taking pics of the child up close most of the time. If you want something that will take some abuse, water, or dust, look into the Olympus TOUGH series. If you're local Wal Mart/Best Buy doesn't have them, search Ebay or order from GLazers or BH Photo.

#22 Ruger SR5

Ruger SR5

Web wheeler platinum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Locationon jack stands

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

I have a couple of PS cameras already, but would like to get something a bit nicer that I can take other shots with too besides just kid photos  If I had a nicer camera, I would definitely be taking a lot more shots than I do currently.

#23 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

What do you mean by "nicer" camera? Just because it's a DSLR doesn't automatically make it better for certain things.

Unless you are interested in photog as a hobby, just buy a better PS and a decent editing program. Jumping to a DSLR from a quality PS usually disapoints people with the first results that they get.

If you are interested in it for a hobby, stick with Cannon or *puke* Nikon. Buy one of the upper models form thier "amatuer" line. If you're buying new, buy it as a kit. By kit, I mean with a "kit" lens. Usually you get the lens for next to nothing. That will make it easier for you to get up and shooting quicker as well as always having back up lens as you upgrade later. Also remember that you'll need a good bag for it. I'd budget at least another $50+ for that.

#24 twitch

twitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Locationportland

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

View PostPhantom 309, on 16 October 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

stick with Cannon or *puke* Nikon.

Ha Ha.......I would use either brand, I don't think you could go wrong with either  I really think the deciding factor between the two come down to ergonomics......just my shinny two pennies.

#25 shale

shale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationEllensburg

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Important note - whichever dslr camera brand you choose, make sure it's the one you want. Once you start investing $$ in lenses remember that they are not interchangeable between brands. It's kind of spendy to change your mind once you have invested in a lens or two.