18 replies to this topic

#1 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to score a three day, expense paid fishing trip to Hell's Canyon. It was just one of those "right place at the right time" kinda things. I've been lucky enough to go up the canyon twice before (as an adult) and I was excited to get to go back again. There is no where that I'd rather be. It's definetly my favorite place to be, hands down.

It rained like hell so I didn't take the camera out fishing the first day so I didn't get many outdoor pics.

They put us up in Hells Canyon Resort. It was pretty damn fancy and we got gourmet meals twice a day along with all of the alcohol that we could drink. I'm more of a "camp along the river under a tarp" kinda guy, but I'll admit that I could probably get used to these kind of accomadations. They even set us up with free Cabela's Guidewear raingear. The other guys laughed a bit because I still wore my old worn out gear. I was too afraid to ruin the new stuff. Hell it's the nicest gear that I've ever had :thumbsup:

Attached File  IMG_9184.jpg   126.23K   22 downloadsAttached File  IMG_9184.jpg   126.23K   22 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9230.jpg   105.15K   19 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9234.jpg   137.02K   19 downloads

Attached Files

#2 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

I brought in handfull of Steelies, but only one keeper. :thumbdown: We unfortunately didn't go very far into the canyon. On the first day we headed up to the Salmon, but it was a bit muddy for good fishing. The rest of the time we hung around the mouth of the Grande Ronde.

The last couple hours that we were there it cleared up a bit so snapped a couple shots.

Attached File  IMG_9186.jpg   119.41K   19 downloads

The guides hooked into a sturgeon that hangs around Heller's Bar feeding on the guts from all of the cleaned fish.

Attached File  IMG_9217.jpg   137.4K   19 downloads

The view looking back down river from the lodge.

Attached File  IMG_9192.jpg   68.69K   18 downloads

#3 tom58c

tom58c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationYakima

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Very nice looking place. Ive heard many stories of boats biting the dust on that river. People not using the right boats for it.

Ive always wanted to go white sturgeon fishing. I Have a jealousy bug biting me right now :dry:

:) Good to see it was a good time.

Edited by tom58c, 11 November 2012 - 07:07 PM.

#4 Trail Beast

Trail Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationMarysville

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

That's the only way to go fishing! I do that every couple years, - the accomodations.
Last time cost $150 for the boat, guide, beverages, & gear. They put us right on the fish, & we all limited out.

#5 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

I've always wanted to hook up with some of the thrill seekers in the 20' sleds that hit the canyon and the Salmon in the spring when the water is really flowing. I love watching the youtube vids of Ryan Rogers and the HCM crew. They're like a bunch of skateboarders playing in a white water skate park.

I've been to the dam before, but in the fall when the rapids are smaller (albiet more technical) but the smallest boat I've been on through them was 30'er with twin Cat diesels. Very cool and intense, but not really scary.

#6 Trail Beast

Trail Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationMarysville

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Ya! :thumbsup:  Just like Jeepin' in the water!
My Dad has an alluminum jet boat. He actually sunk it there once 60' under, then I came popping up down stream after the anchor broke. I'm not sure on the details how that happened.
I'm sure there was some alcohol involved. They actually recovered everything.

#7 Trail Beast

Trail Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationMarysville

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostPhantom 309, on 11 November 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

The guides hooked into a sturgeon that hangs around Heller's Bar feeding on the guts from all of the cleaned fish.
Attachment IMG_9217.jpg
Was that Jason Lynch of Hells Canyon fishing?
I've been with him a couple times, & limited out every time.
Another good guy to know is Pete Palino. I think he contracts out to the lodge, & used to be a driver for the tour boats. He's one of my Dad's old SWAT buddies.
I've always been lucky enough to pick the right days to go.
Here's a good day!
Taking this picture officer "Longarm" (I shit you not, that's the name on his jacket) stopped by. He was a local indian, & thought a couple white folk with 6 fish had to be illegal.
After a 1/2 hr interogation, we took our fish & headed back to the motel.
Great day though! Jason likes to start a camp fire on the shore, & make peach cobler in a dutch oven while we fish, & then come back for it at lunch time.
Hells Canyon is an awsome place to explore, fishing or not.
Posted Image

#8 dirtster

dirtster

Dirtster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationBuhl, ID

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Dream trip for sure. Any wheelin possibilities in that area? Thanks for sharing.

#9 Trail Beast

Trail Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationMarysville

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

View Postdirtster, on 07 April 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Dream trip for sure. Any wheelin possibilities in that area? Thanks for sharing.
Jet boating on the river is the jeep trails. There's some wheeling in the immediate Idaho side, but I'd figure you'd be the one to ask.
One of my old co workers was from Riggins, & talked about wheeling, & hiking into abandon Chinese slave camps. I guess there's still some treasures out there somewhere.

#10 Bobby & Bubbles

Bobby & Bubbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAll over the PNW

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

We have done the jet boat rides twice! So fun!

#11 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostTrail Beast, on 07 April 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

Was that Jason Lynch of Hells Canyon fishing?

Jason Schultz of Hells Canyon Sport Fishing.

#12 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostTrail Beast, on 07 April 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

One of my old co workers was from Riggins, & talked about wheeling, & hiking into abandon Chinese slave camps. I guess there's still some treasures out there somewhere.

I have seen the remains of some of the old mines where they used the chineese slaves. You can see some of them up around the mouth of the salmon. It's pretty cool, but there's not much left. Just a couple of old bridges and wood. Now that I think of it I may have some pics from a few years ago.

#13 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

These aren't the bridges that I was thinking about but they are just down river from the mines iirc.

Attached File  HELLS CANYON 08 053.jpg   181.19K   24 downloads

#14 dirtster

dirtster

Dirtster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationBuhl, ID

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Great stuff. Oh for three lifetimes and a bankroll ... I could do it all! (as it is I'm an old fart and broke as a pickpocket in a nudest colony)

Edited by dirtster, 12 April 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#15 Phantom 309

Phantom 309

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,876 posts
  • Location2nd to last

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

I've been very lucky in this aspect. All three of my trips into the canyon have been free. With the exception of the last one I benefited from last minute cancellations by industry big wigs. The first two I literally had an hours notice to get from work, packed and out to Gleed (20 min from my house) to catch my ride. I called my wife at night to tell her I was in Lewiston, ID and would be out of service for three days!!

#16 Trail Beast

Trail Beast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationMarysville

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

View Postdirtster, on 12 April 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

(as it is I'm an old fart and broke as a pickpocket in a nudest colony)
:rofl:

View PostPhantom 309, on 12 April 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

I called my wife at night to tell her I was in Lewiston, ID and would be out of service for three days!!
That was a smart idea! :rofl:

#17 cj5jeeper

cj5jeeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Locationyakima

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

Never gone on a boat through the area but I'm defiantly familiar with the hills and how steep they are! My favorite hunting grounds actually. Used to live in the area and now I just visit for a week a year. Absolutely cannot beat the view you get climbing to the top of the hills above the river.

Attached Files

#18 cj5jeeper

cj5jeeper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Locationyakima

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

Attached Files

#19 Covrlovr

Covrlovr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationWaitsburg

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

Great trip dude!.. Need to put that on my to do list fo sho!